Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Document vs. Record - What's the Difference under TS 16949?

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
ts 16949 - automotive quality system standard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 15th August 2002, 10:39 AM
dbzman

Unhappy Document vs. Record - What's the Difference under TS 16949?

Under 4.2.3 Control of documents - records are said to be a special type of document.
I'm in the habit of keeping two control listings. One for records and one for document (intructions, SOPs, etc).
Under this definition if a document has data entered on it then it becomes a record.
Would it be better to just have one listing or is there another way to control records? Am I making this too complicated?

Sponsored Links
Old 15th August 2002, 12:51 PM
Ken K

The way we separate the two is if we update or change a document it would require a revision change because it's controlled.

But, we also use various files and logs which are updated as part of normal operations without necessitating a revision change.

Both are considered part of our quality system.
Sponsored Links

Old 15th August 2002, 02:16 PM
db

Record vs document

Quote:
if we update or change a document it would require a revision change because it's controlled.
Very good Ken! And if we change a record it is called an update, but the revision level doesn't change. Or does it? If I update a record, then the last entry could be considered the rev level, although it would not show on the master list, which gets back to your statement.
Old 15th August 2002, 06:37 PM
Al Dyer

Cool

As my mind is, this may sound too simplistic:

If you change the info on a procedure, instruction, or form, there is a need for a revision.

A record is just that, a record. Do we revise records? I would not think so, revising records could lead to what has been going on recently in many corporations, If we don't like the results let's change the records.

If there is a record that is disfavorable it needs to be acted upon with some type of preventive or corrective action.

Just a thought!

ASD...
Old 5th June 2008, 11:19 AM
durnan

Re: Document vs. Record - What's the Difference under TS 16949?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by dbzman View Post

Under 4.2.3 Control of documents - records are said to be a special type of document.
I'm in the habit of keeping two control listings. One for records and one for document (intructions, SOPs, etc).
Under this definition if a document has data entered on it then it becomes a record.
Would it be better to just have one listing or is there another way to control records? Am I making this too complicated?

Document is the form in a blank state then it changes to a record when it is filled in.
the document would prob be stored on the hard drive on pc then when it is turned into a record prob filed away. Hope this helps.
Old 5th June 2008, 11:30 AM
dbzman

Hello everyone!

I am coming in on this discussion a little late but it looks like the question is “what is the difference between a document and a record”.
I look at this in a slightly bent way.

The way that I look at records vs. documents is this:

1. If I wanted to see how a job/activity was performed I would look at a record.
2. If I want to look at how a job/activity is to be performed I would look at a document.

Once data is placed on a document it becomes a record.

You would revise a document but not a record. You may update the information on a record (with signatures and dates) but not the revision.

Maybe I just oversimplify but that is my take on the difference.

Old 5th June 2008, 11:40 AM
Helmut Jilling

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by dbzman View Post

Whatever works best for you. Although, under the general principle of less is better, if you can comfortably do it on 1 log, so much the better. I have seen some companies do that by adding some columns for Retention Times and Storage and Disposal requirements to the right hand side of the log.

The main thing is control the stuff so the information is accurate, and it is available if some needs to read it. If you achieve that aim, you have met the ISO intent pretty well.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?