The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Using Minitab Software
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
minitab (statistical analysis software), statistical analysis and studies, i-mr chart, control charts (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2011, 10:31 AM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Nov 2011

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 10
angr76 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Displaying Multiple Graphs in the Same Plot with Minitab

Hello,

I have two subgroups of data in Minitab 16. I'd like to plot the data in a control chart type, I-MR, and then have both graphs for the two subgroups in the same plot. They share the same X values, so I just want to overlay them. How do I do this?

Grateful for all suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 3rd November 2011, 01:43 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Apr 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 591
Thanked 1,967 Times in 1,246 Posts
Karma Power: 424
Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Look! Re: Displaying Multiple Graphs in the Same Plot with Minitab

I have not found a way to do this in the Imr chart menu. You could manually create this in the Scatterplot menu, but it would be tedious.

"A fool can learn from his own experiences; the wise learn from the experience of others." - Democritus, 460-370 B.C.
Sponsored Links

Old 4th November 2011, 03:35 AM

angr76 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: Displaying Multiple Graphs in the Same Plot with Minitab

Thanks for the reply. I thought it'd be tricky and appreciate that I wasn't too far off in my thoughts.
Old 4th November 2011, 07:38 AM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Jan 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 15
Karma Power: 55
Allattar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Allattar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Allattar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Allattar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Allattar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Its not impossible and you have varying ways of doing this.

Easy methods,
create both charts call up the layout tool from the editor menu and put them on the same page. It does not overlay but you can display them side by side or one above the other.

They are I charts, so we can use a Time series. Go to the time series plot, choose multiple, enter both columns. Job done
The data must be in seperate columns to display correctly.
You can add reference lines to put the control limits on, if by some lucky chance they share the same values for UCL and LCL.

Complex method.
This wont work for I-MR only I charts. The following only works for graphs that can update, but you can use if for anything.

Create both I charts.
Select one chart and edit the background and data colour to be none. For easy aligning of the charts delete the control limits lables and centre line labels.

Select the chart that you have not fixed the background as none. Go to editor and copy command language.

Open up notepad and paste this into notepad
Select the second chart, the one with the background and data region set to none. Go to Editor and copy command language.
Paste this under the commands for the first chart.

At the top of the notepad file before the graph commands type LAYOUT, at the end after all commands type ENDLAYOUT.

Copy all the text and in Minitab press CTRL+L to call up the command line editor. Paste the text in and run the commands

The graphs will be overlaid. But they probably dont line up very nicely.

You can add a DATA subcommand to specify data region positions within each set of commands for a chart.
For example
Data 0.1615 0.9531 0.1797 0.9115;
added amongst the graph commands specifies the size and location of the data region. You can fix this to the same value for both charts to ensure the data regions are the same.

You probabaly want to remove the Y axis labels as well on each chart to tidy it up.

Its possible to then save these commands in a macro for future use as well.

Personally I would run the time series plot unless it was really essential to use the I chart.
Thank You to Allattar for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 12th November 2011, 03:25 AM

fjexpo has less than 100 Karma points so far.

I prefer put background as "none" (for any graph and send to Power Point / Word. There you can move, fix, etc. Previously you can set Y axis to be fixed manually, not automatically in order to control and fix the Y scale.

Best regards,
Javier

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Allattar View Post

Its not impossible and you have varying ways of doing this.

Easy methods,
create both charts call up the layout tool from the editor menu and put them on the same page. It does not overlay but you can display them side by side or one above the other.

They are I charts, so we can use a Time series. Go to the time series plot, choose multiple, enter both columns. Job done
The data must be in seperate columns to display correctly.
You can add reference lines to put the control limits on, if by some lucky chance they share the same values for UCL and LCL.

Complex method.
This wont work for I-MR only I charts. The following only works for graphs that can update, but you can use if for anything.

Create both I charts.
Select one chart and edit the background and data colour to be none. For easy aligning of the charts delete the control limits lables and centre line labels.

Select the chart that you have not fixed the background as none. Go to editor and copy command language.

Open up notepad and paste this into notepad
Select the second chart, the one with the background and data region set to none. Go to Editor and copy command language.
Paste this under the commands for the first chart.

At the top of the notepad file before the graph commands type LAYOUT, at the end after all commands type ENDLAYOUT.

Copy all the text and in Minitab press CTRL+L to call up the command line editor. Paste the text in and run the commands

The graphs will be overlaid. But they probably dont line up very nicely.

You can add a DATA subcommand to specify data region positions within each set of commands for a chart.
For example
Data 0.1615 0.9531 0.1797 0.9115;
added amongst the graph commands specifies the size and location of the data region. You can fix this to the same value for both charts to ensure the data regions are the same.

You probabaly want to remove the Y axis labels as well on each chart to tidy it up.

Its possible to then save these commands in a macro for future use as well.

Personally I would run the time series plot unless it was really essential to use the I chart.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Using Minitab Software

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?