The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Aerospace and Aviation Standards and Requirements > AS9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
as9100 - aerospace quality management systems, flowcharts, work instructions (wi), procedures (general), turtle diagrams

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 4th November 2011, 11:30 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jan 2011

Thanks Given to Others: 1
Karma Power: 16
mallen92705 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Procedure & Work Instruction Flow Charting vs. Turtle Diagrams

Hello Everybody!

I work for a small AS9100 and ISO 9001 certified company that is soon approaching our first AS9100 Rev. C audit and wanted to get your opinion to see if I am on the right track.

With that being said, here you go...

I have inside knowledge that our Auditor is going to want to see Turtle Diagrams of our processes. I realize that this is not called out directly in the specification, but rather than stand up to him, I believe that these are a useful and important tool. It also gets me "Top Management" support in creating them.

Since I have never created a Turtle Diagram, I have choosen to create four Simple Flow Charts that show how all our documented Operating Procedures and Work Instructions are implemented throughout our organization.

My question to you is do you feel that this would be an acceptable alternative to the Turtle Diagrams that the Auditor is planning on seeing?

Or would I be inherently missing something by using Flow Charts instead of Turtle Diagrams?

I have read in other threads about Turtle Diagrams and the requirement for them by certain auditors during the AS9100 Rev. C and realize that they are not called out directly within the specification.

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 4th November 2011, 11:53 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,051
Thanked 5,994 Times in 3,820 Posts
Karma Power: 1532
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Procedure & Work Instruction Flow Charting vs. Turtle Diagrams

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by mallen92705 View Post

Hello Everybody!

I work for a small AS9100 and ISO 9001 certified company that is soon approaching our first AS9100 Rev. C audit and wanted to get your opinion to see if I am on the right track.

With that being said, here you go...

I have inside knowledge that our Auditor is going to want to see Turtle Diagrams of our processes. I realize that this is not called out directly in the specification, but rather than stand up to him, I believe that these are a useful and important tool. It also gets me "Top Management" support in creating them.

Since I have never created a Turtle Diagram, I have choosen to create four Simple Flow Charts that show how all our documented Operating Procedures and Work Instructions are implemented throughout our organization.

My question to you is do you feel that this would be an acceptable alternative to the Turtle Diagrams that the Auditor is planning on seeing?

Or would I be inherently missing something by using Flow Charts instead of Turtle Diagrams?

I have read in other threads about Turtle Diagrams and the requirement for them by certain auditors during the AS9100 Rev. C and realize that they are not called out directly within the specification.

Thank you in advance!
All turtle diagrams are flow diagrams, but not all flow diagrams are turtle diagrams. If you want to create turtle diagrams for whatever reasons you might have, you should create turtle diagrams. My personal preference is standard process flowcharts, and I think that the sole reason for the existence of turtle diagrams is auditor appeasement. That's just me, though, and if you think turtles are "a useful and important tool," then that's the way you should go.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Sponsored Links

Old 4th November 2011, 12:00 PM
Involved in Discussions

Thank you for your reply!

Based on your response I am starting to think that the Flow Charts are a better and more thorough alternative to the Turtle Diagrams and should satisfy our auditor.
Old 4th November 2011, 12:05 PM
Quality Champion

Registration Date: Mar 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 19
Karma Power: 121
Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

I have experience with ISO 9000 but not AS9100 but I am not sure the value of either the flow charting or turtle diagrams if you are only doing it to satisfy the auditor. Once you start doing them then you are committed to maintaining both procedures and diagrams which could result in some extra long term work. Are you sure you really want to do it if does not contribute to a better management system?

Bill Pflanz

There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool following it. - Niven's Law
Thank You to Bill Pflanz for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 4th November 2011, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 3,196
Thanked 4,535 Times in 3,213 Posts
Karma Power: 1553
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:

Thank you for your reply!

Based on your response I am starting to think that the Flow Charts are a better and more thorough alternative to the Turtle Diagrams and should satisfy our auditor.
Let me caution you! Your quality system is not about satisfying the auditor! You must do what makes most sense to your organization and your customers.

Too much "auditor pleasing" going on....

Stijloor.
Thank You to Stijloor for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 4th November 2011, 12:45 PM
Involved in Discussions

Agreed!

But...
(1) since I need to continue to be employed
(2) Top Management wants a happy auditor

I need to proceed and was looking for feedback from others to see if Flow Charts were an effective replacement.

Thanks!
Old 4th November 2011, 07:39 PM
Involved in HankyPanky

Registration Date: May 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 69
Karma Power: 40
rickpaul01 is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.rickpaul01 is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.
Hehehe... Re: Procedure & Work Instruction Flow Charting vs. Turtle Diagrams

Hi Mike,
Either will work for the audit. So use what works best for you. I started out creating Turtles, not to appease a potential auditor, but to make his job easier. Hes there to help me, so I should help him.
It ended up that the turtles helped me to explain the outputs, and which outputs we should be measuring, to our senior staff.
Good Luck.
Old 5th November 2011, 03:50 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Feb 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 4,458
Thanked 3,366 Times in 2,277 Posts
Karma Power: 863
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyN
Caution Re: Procedure & Work Instruction Flow Charting vs. Turtle Diagrams

Quote:

Agreed!

But...
(1) since I need to continue to be employed
(2) Top Management wants a happy auditor

I need to proceed and was looking for feedback from others to see if Flow Charts were an effective replacement.

Thanks!
What about your own people? There's too much emphasis on pleasing auditors, when, in fact, they will be pleased if the documents are employed by the people who are supposed to use them! If your employees are 'happy' with the use of documentation to describe the process and information they need to do their jobs, it will be apparent to the auditor and, more importantly, your management (you get to keep your job and sleep at night).

If you do things for auditors and forget the main purpose of the documentation - which is NOT to pass audits or 'keep them of your management 'happy', you will be potentially be out of a job, sooner or later. The reason? Because the documents will not be being followed, the QMS will not have controlled a situation which escaped, costing a packet/affected a customer and YOUR name will be on it. You should not sleep well at night knowing this. How much will your auditor's happiness have cost you? You're also forgetting that one auditor may be happy, doesn't mean they will all be and they will change...

'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.....

Last edited by AndyN; 5th November 2011 at 08:50 PM.
Thanks to AndyN for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Aerospace and Aviation Standards and Requirements > AS9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?