Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) and Food Safety
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Why folks prefer ISO 22000 instead of BRC or SQF?

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
brc food safety program, food (general), food safety, food standards, iso 22000 - food safety management systems

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 6th November 2011, 07:11 PM
Ka Pilo

Question Why folks prefer ISO 22000 instead of BRC or SQF?

Considering that all of them are stand-alone standards.

Sponsored Links
Old 6th November 2011, 07:16 PM
Marc

Re: Why folks prefer ISO 22000 instead of BRC or SQF?

Why don't you start out by telling us which one you "prefer", why you prefer it, which one your company actually uses, and why?

My assumption is you yourself are familiar with all 3 standards. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Sponsored Links

Old 6th November 2011, 07:37 PM
AndyN

Caution Re: Why folks prefer ISO 22000 instead of BRC or SQF?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Ka Pilo View Post

Considering that all of them are stand-alone standards.
In your country, that may be a true statement. It isn't true in the USA. You may wish to rephrase the comment for a global context, which is the reach of the Cove.
Thanks to AndyN for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 6th November 2011, 09:04 PM
Ka Pilo

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Marc View Post

Why don't you start out by telling us which one you "prefer", why you prefer it, which one your company actually uses, and why?

My assumption is you yourself are familiar with all 3 standards. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not a direct user of BRC or SQF. It's just frustrating to note confusion from food sfatey professionals (both users, and auditors).

The following is a quote from Soon Loy and an example of confustion (OPRP vs CP) from standards designed for Food Safety:

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Soon Loy View Post

Just wish to inform that we have successfully achieved FSSC22000 and BRC-Food (Issue 5) in an integrated audit recently. Although the issue on the interpretation of OPRP was raised by the auditor, all verification activity data/evidence were in place to support the system. So it was kind of anti-climax as we maintain our position that OPRP is CP even though the auditor had other ideas! Thanks to those who participated on this thread.
So, I wish to ask "Is ISO 22000 written in plain English?" Why there are so much confusion with ragard to interpretation?
Old 6th November 2011, 09:26 PM
Marc

I have not seen a standard yet that is not open to interpretations of its contents. In fact this site was started based upon the problem of the different interpretations of ISO 9001:1994 and what was then QS-9000.

You ask "Is ISO 22000 written in plain English?" I ask, what standard isn't open to interpretation?

As to the differences between ISO 22000, BRC and SQF - That's an entirely different question. Food processing isn't my area of expertise so I have no idea what the differences are.

But let's get back to your original question:
Quote:
It may be more of an issue of the requirements of the specific country you are in and if you sell to foreign countries what their requirements are.

Again I ask of you: Why don't you start out by telling us which one you "prefer", why you prefer it, which one your company actually uses, and why?
Old 6th November 2011, 09:49 PM
Ka Pilo

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Marc View Post

I have not seen a standard yet that is not open to interpretations of its contents. In fact this site was started based upon the problem of the different interpretations of ISO 9001:1994 and what was then QS-9000.

You ask "Is ISO 22000 written in plain English?" I ask, what standard isn't open to interpretation?

As to the differences between ISO 22000, BRC and SQF - That's an entirely different question. Food processing isn't my area of expertise so I have no idea what the differences are.

But let's get back to your original question: It may be more of an issue of the requirements of the specific country you are in and if you sell to foreign countries what their requirements are.

Again I ask of you: Why don't you start out by telling us which one you "prefer", why you prefer it, which one your company actually uses, and why?
Our company (the management) prefers ISO 22000. Personally, I prefer BRC or SQF because Global Food Safety Initiative Standards compliant, and therefore accepted everywhere.

The confusion started when OPRP was introduced by ISO 22000, I think.
Old 7th November 2011, 09:09 PM
Soon Loy

There are many food safety standards that have evolved over the years and each one has their own list of requirements which are basically the same. ISO is making an attempt to "harmonize" ISO22000 as an internationally recognized FSMS standard. IMO, I believe this was not largely achieved but it created a lot of awareness about FSSC22000. And, in the meantime, other standards have also dropped off in the demand ranking ladder as new standards under GFSI come into the fore.

Ultimately, the customers will determine which food safety standard they want you to have and from that stand point, I believe GFSI's recognized schemes will very much be in the forefront. I also agree that we are bound to have interpretation issues no matter which and what standards we have to deal with. That is the sad part of what we have to live with.
Thanks to Soon Loy for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 10th November 2011, 07:43 AM
tsmith7858

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by AndyN View Post

In your country, that may be a true statement. It isn't true in the USA. You may wish to rephrase the comment for a global context, which is the reach of the Cove.
As Andy indicates preference is dependent on where you are located. Although FSSC 22000 (and by extension ISO 22000) is gaining popularity in the US, SQF is the predominant standard at this point.

It probably has something to do with the fact that most of the large US retailers requested or referenced SQF first. Most now accept any GFSI accepted standard.

From a food producer standpoint in the US, there does seem to be a movement toward FSSC 22000 but I think it is because most of them already have ISO 9001 and the transition is easier.
Thank You to tsmith7858 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) and Food Safety

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?