The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
7.5.2 - validation of processes, exclusions of clauses in a standard, iso 9001 - quality management systems, special processes, welding

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 23rd November 2011, 09:15 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Feb 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 29
baynoli has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! ISO 9001 Clause 7.5.2 - Validation of Process for Production and Service Provision

Hi all, good day everyone.

I know this question has been asked already,
Would like to know when can this clause become an exclusion to a certain product or sevice.

And when can this be included in the qms/ scope of certification.
Hope experts of this field can eblighten me about this clause.

Thanks , baynoli

Sponsored Links
Old 24th November 2011, 02:05 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Mar 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 1,476
Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,641 Posts
Karma Power: 503
somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to somashekar
Re: ISO 9001 Clause 7.5.2 - Validation of Process for Production and Service Provisio

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by baynoli View Post

Would like to know when can this clause become an exclusion to a certain product or sevice.

Thanks , baynoli
Hii baynoli.
This question has a potential to be a long debated thread, as it has happened earlier. Below this response you will find "Similar Discussion Threads" that will be of some eye opener.
I will try giving you a tip by way of an example.
If my process is cooking rice, and I do that in a open vessel with just any flame stove and keep watch to see the water I had added to rice evaporate and check the rice grains on top to see if they are soft and cooked to my feel, I would exclude validation.
If I change my process and I now use a pressure cooker, I would include validation, for I need to decide in advance, How to set up the cooker for correct performance, what water to rice ratio gets me my desired level of cooking done for the rice grade I have , what flame level is most optimum, how many pressure whistle should I allow, what water level I have to maintain in the pressure cooker base container, how long after flame cutoff I have to open to safely get the cooked rice.....
Now again If I change my process to electric rice cooker, I have to validate and this time it may be less validation load, as I have to decide in advance just what water to rice ratio gets me my desired level of cooking done for the rice grade I have. The rest of the stuff is determined by the electric cooker.
Please note that if I change the grade or quality of rice, I may have to re-validate certain things in both the pressure and electric cooker process, to get me the desired cooked rice quality.
Hope your question is answered.....

Best Regards...
Somashekar BV, INDIA

Last edited by somashekar; 24th November 2011 at 02:36 AM.
Sponsored Links

Old 24th November 2011, 04:11 AM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Oct 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 449
Karma Power: 131
sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: ISO 9001 Clause 7.5.2 - Validation of Process for Production and Service Provisio

Hi!
Well, I do not use a pressure cooker for rice cooking, I prefer a traditionally cooked risotto, so from the gastronomy prospective I could argue on that, however the example we have here is really great and well describes the concept.
More concrete example for you.
For a software company for example the "production" is only the activity relates to CD burning and packaging, so if they are not doing that, it is an example for exclusion.
On the other side, "service provision" can be applicable if they provide for example hot line support, so it can not be excluded.
So, sum it up, it depends on your product and service for your customer and also depends on your company structure.
Regards
Szabolcs
Old 24th November 2011, 07:12 AM

Thanks Given to Others: 241
Karma Power: 252
qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by baynoli View Post

Thanks , baynoli
I would say that only 7.3 can be excluded from the scope of a ISO 9001 certification for a QMS of an organization, but other clauses cannot be excluded. We could think that some clauses cannot be applied but not excluded, in fact in an ISO certificate only the product design clause is allowed to be excluded.
Old 24th November 2011, 08:15 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 3,183
Thanked 4,508 Times in 3,193 Posts
Karma Power: 1539
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by qusys View Post

I would say that only 7.3 can be excluded from the scope of a ISO 9001 certification for a QMS of an organization, but other clauses cannot be excluded. We could think that some clauses cannot be applied but not excluded, in fact in an ISO certificate only the product design clause is allowed to be excluded.
It is possible that other clauses within section 7 can be excluded.

Stijloor.
Old 24th November 2011, 08:25 AM

Thanks Given to Others: 1,091
Thanked 1,117 Times in 744 Posts
Karma Power: 274
Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by qusys View Post

If it can be properly justified, anything in section 7 can be excluded. See element 1.2.

The key is in the proper justification.
Old 24th November 2011, 08:33 AM

Thanks Given to Others: 1,091
Thanked 1,117 Times in 744 Posts
Karma Power: 274
Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Big Jim is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by somashekar View Post

Hii baynoli.
This question has a potential to be a long debated thread, as it has happened earlier. Below this response you will find "Similar Discussion Threads" that will be of some eye opener.
I will try giving you a tip by way of an example.
If my process is cooking rice, and I do that in a open vessel with just any flame stove and keep watch to see the water I had added to rice evaporate and check the rice grains on top to see if they are soft and cooked to my feel, I would exclude validation.
If I change my process and I now use a pressure cooker, I would include validation, for I need to decide in advance, How to set up the cooker for correct performance, what water to rice ratio gets me my desired level of cooking done for the rice grade I have , what flame level is most optimum, how many pressure whistle should I allow, what water level I have to maintain in the pressure cooker base container, how long after flame cutoff I have to open to safely get the cooked rice.....
Now again If I change my process to electric rice cooker, I have to validate and this time it may be less validation load, as I have to decide in advance just what water to rice ratio gets me my desired level of cooking done for the rice grade I have. The rest of the stuff is determined by the electric cooker.
Please note that if I change the grade or quality of rice, I may have to re-validate certain things in both the pressure and electric cooker process, to get me the desired cooked rice quality.
Hope your question is answered.....
I would respectfully disagree with your analogy.

The output, that is the quality of the cooked rice, can be determined by subsequent monitoring and measurement.

The red hearing here is that you use process controls to help achieve your outcome. The use of process controls in and of themselves do not determine if something is a special process that requires validation. It is when the process controls are the primary or even the only practical way to tell that the outcome is acceptable.
Old 24th November 2011, 10:48 AM

Thanks Given to Others: 241
Karma Power: 252
qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Stijloor View Post

It is possible that other clauses within section 7 can be excluded.

Stijloor.
Thank you, I was wrong in the interpretation, in fact ISO 9001 clearly states what you say in par. 1.2 Application. If not applicable for an organization, other clauses within par.7 can be excluded.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?