Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 19011 - Auditing Quality and Environmental Management Systems > Internal Auditing
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Interpreting AS9100 Clause 8.2.2 Internal Audit Requirements

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
8.2.2 - internal audits, as9100 - aerospace quality management systems, audits and auditing, internal audits

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 15th December 2011, 02:02 PM
Mario Alberto83

Please Help! Interpreting AS9100 Clause 8.2.2 Internal Audit Requirements

Hello everybody

I am a little stuck on the interpretation for following matter in AS9100 standard. I would really appreciate if you could help me shedding some light on it.

8.2.2 The organization shall conduct internal audits at planned intervals to determine wether the quality management system:
1) Conforms to the planned arrangements (see 7.1)
2) to the requirements of this international standard and
3) to the quality management system requirements established by the organization.

My interpretation:
1) and 2). Planned arrangements (Planning of product realization) inlcude processes for establishment of product requirements (7.2), the need to establish processes and documents (7.3 design, 7.5 production), provision of resources for product (7.4 purchasing), etc. I believe point 1 is part of the intent of point 2, I mean, by having an audit procedure for "all the requirements in the standard", we already cover the requirements for auditing planned arrangements (7.1)

3) I understand that we should also have an audit process for all those organization specific processes that therefore are not governed by the standard sucha as indirect purchasing, finances, recruiting, etc.

Being that said, I got to the conclusion that I am in compliance if I have auditing processes for all QMS processes governed by AS9100 requirements and an audit process for organization specific processes.

Am I on the right way?

Please let me know your very valuable input.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Old 16th December 2011, 12:56 AM
Stijloor

Re: Interpreting AS9100 Clause 8.2.2 Internal Audit Requirements

A Quick Bump!

Can someone with AS 9100 expertise help Mario with this?

Thank you very much!

Stijloor.
Thanks to Stijloor for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 16th December 2011, 03:23 PM
Frenchy406

Internal audits at planned intervals means you have a schedule or some other way of identifying that each process will be audited and it meets whatever interval you defined in your procedure.
I just went through my recertification to Rev. C and I received an NCR for not having an independent auditor audit section 8.2.2 on Internal Audits. That means that one of my auditors cannot audit any other processes or AS9100 requirements because that would mean he is auditing his own area. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 16th December 2011, 03:39 PM
AndyN

Question Re: Interpreting AS9100 Clause 8.2.2 Internal Audit Requirements

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Frenchy406 View Post

Internal audits at planned intervals means you have a schedule or some other way of identifying that each process will be audited and it meets whatever interval you defined in your procedure.
I just went through my recertification to Rev. C and I received an NCR for not having an independent auditor audit section 8.2.2 on Internal Audits. That means that one of my auditors cannot audit any other processes or AS9100 requirements because that would mean he is auditing his own area. Has this happened to anyone else?
Frenchy - can you 'sanitize' the nc and post the content here? It sounds a little bogus to me... We'll be able to tell better if we know exactly what the deal was, as reported.
Old 16th December 2011, 05:21 PM
Mario Alberto83

Thanks for your posts guys

I agree with AndyN, and in the other side, I am not confused about the internal audit schedule, intervals, etc. I am just not clear about the scope of the audit.

I want to know if having a plan that audits my QMS regarding requirements of the standard, I already cover the requirement of auditing "conformance to the QMS requirements established by the organization".

Or...should I have independent plans one for the QMS vs standard and other one for organization specific processes vs QMS?
Old 16th December 2011, 05:40 PM
AndyN

Thumbs up Re: Interpreting AS9100 Clause 8.2.2 Internal Audit Requirements

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Mario Alberto83 View Post

Thanks for your posts guys

I agree with AndyN, and in the other side, I am not confused about the internal audit schedule, intervals, etc. I am just not clear about the scope of the audit.

I want to know if having a plan that audits my QMS regarding requirements of the standard, I already cover the requirement of auditing "conformance to the QMS requirements established by the organization".

Or...should I have independent plans one for the QMS vs standard and other one for organization specific processes vs QMS?
Hola! Mario, you don't necessarily have to 'think' AS when doing audits. If your system is compliant to the standard, that is you can show where each requirement meets the various 'shalls' etc, then you audit program will, 'automatically', address the AS requirements, when you audit. I've tried to show it this way, when using the 'Football' diagram I created. By using such an approach (or others) you easily cover 70% of the standard each and every audit! You could, if done proper;y, cover the requirements of the standard in less than a 12 month time frame!
Thanks to AndyN for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 19th December 2011, 08:27 AM
Frenchy406

ANDY - Exact words for NCR "Records indicate that an auditor that audited the Management and Quality processes also audited the Quality Management System against requirements for Internal Audits, meaning that either the auditor audited her own work or that the audit of the Quality Management System is incomplete (no independent audit of the QMS to Internal Audit requirements)."
Old 19th December 2011, 09:25 AM
AndyN

Thumbs up Re: Interpreting AS9100 Clause 8.2.2 Internal Audit Requirements

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Frenchy406 View Post

ANDY - Exact words for NCR "Records indicate that an auditor that audited the Management and Quality processes also audited the Quality Management System against requirements for Internal Audits, meaning that either the auditor audited her own work or that the audit of the Quality Management System is incomplete (no independent audit of the QMS to Internal Audit requirements)."
Aha! Were those particular records an audit of the audits done by the particular auditor? If not, then it's not 'their work' is it? It is perfectly satisfactory for them to audit other audits, as long as you can show that's what they did (from notes made, scope of audit assignment etc)

If the auditor didn't dig into the records to show the auditor actually audited their own previous audits, reject the findings back to the CB with the evidence!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 19011 - Auditing Quality and Environmental Management Systems > Internal Auditing

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?