The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
world class (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 9th September 2002, 10:35 AM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Oct 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 5
Karma Power: 83
Andrews has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Thumbs up World class company

This question is for the gurus.What are the characteristics of a world class company? How does a company go about achieving this?

Sponsored Links
Old 9th September 2002, 06:47 PM
One of THE Original Covers!

Registration Date: Nov 1998

Thanks Given to Others: 39
Karma Power: 400
Kevin Mader is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Kevin Mader is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Kevin Mader is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Kevin Mader is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Kevin Mader is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Kevin Mader is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Kevin Mader is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Kevin Mader is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Kevin Mader is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Kevin Mader is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Kevin Mader is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Mader
Question

Interesting question.

You often see folks putting lofty statements in their Quality Policies saying something like “…to strive to be world class producers/hotels/manufacturers/etc. …” I wonder how many think about the question you are putting to this group before considering whether it belongs in ones statement or not?

I think the term is loosely used and thrown around too much. What makes one a world class sprinter or a world class automaker? Is this defined anywhere? What are the criteria? Or, is it a culmination of general opinion that decides whether Carl Johnson or Toyota are in fact world class?

Group?

Kevin

"Without theory there is nothing to modify or learn." W. Edwards Deming
Sponsored Links

Old 9th September 2002, 09:48 PM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Aug 1999

Thanks Given to Others: 3
Karma Power: 139
Laura M is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Laura M is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Laura M is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Laura M is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Laura M is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Laura M is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Laura M is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.
Send a message via AIM to Laura M Send a message via Skype™ to Laura M
Our school district adopted a "mission statement" that says we will provide a "world class" education. When it was presented to the board, I asked what that was.....
Old 10th September 2002, 06:53 AM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: May 2000

Thanks Given to Others: 1,397
Karma Power: 400
Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Question Further random thoughts. More questions than answers...

Hi all,

Laura has a point... What is world class?

...and do we mean overall world class, or world class within a specific set of characteristics? (I can hardly imagine anyone being top dog in every field).

Besides, I don't think the term means that you have to be the best of the best. Being up there among the best should certainly be interpreted as world class.

/Claes

Hanlon's Razor.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
User Groups: Elsmar Cove Cycling Enthusiasts Formula 1 fanatics Photo freaks Readers Corner
Old 10th September 2002, 10:02 AM
An Early 'Cover'

Registration Date: Mar 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 44
Karma Power: 241
Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
More random thoughts on world class:

I also agree -- world class is not necessarily the one best -- but among the best. If the fastest sprinter in the world runs a 4.12 second time, is the guy (or 4 guys) who runs 4.13 not also "world class"?

Who decides? It depends. Peers, fellow competitors, the marketplace/customers, independent monitoring organizations.

You have to carefully define the classification. The sprinter who is WC in the 50 meter dash is not necessarily WC in the 200 meter high hurdles.

Anyone feel free to shoot holes...

Mike S. ("Gun Nut")
And they ask me why I drink....
Old 10th September 2002, 10:35 PM
Aussie Bloke

Registration Date: Nov 1999

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 110
David Mullins has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Have you tried benchmarking against baldrige and the like?

Aussie Bloke
Old 10th September 2002, 11:21 PM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Aug 1999

Thanks Given to Others: 3
Karma Power: 139
Laura M is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Laura M is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Laura M is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Laura M is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Laura M is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Laura M is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Laura M is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.
Send a message via AIM to Laura M Send a message via Skype™ to Laura M
Ah ha - now you have it. Benchmark. But the only benchmark we seem to care about is within NY state. If we can't benchmark against "the world" then we shouldn't have it as an objective, right?

World class "sounds good" and I suppose in industry benchmarks may be easier to come by than what I'm talking about, but I still say you have to know if you've made it.

FYI - I'm not as negative about it as I sound. I'm trying to use my quality education on my unpaid School Board role to help educate, and make sure that when we say we are "data driven" that we actually are. We are embarking on the most formalized strategic planning process the district has ever had, and my push is the measurements so we measure ourselves and our strategic plan to self-imposed criteria that doesn't lose site of the State imposed criteria. "Say what you do, do what you say, and provide the records and results to prove it."
Old 11th September 2002, 03:30 AM
Aussie Bloke

Registration Date: Nov 1999

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 110
David Mullins has less than 100 Karma points so far.
not with it

Laura said:
"Ah ha - now you have it. Benchmark. But the only benchmark we seem to care about is within NY state. "

What are you on about?

Aussie Bloke

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?