The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Quality Manager Issues > Customer Complaints including ISO 10002
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
customer service, work instructions (wi)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 25th February 2012, 06:19 AM
Other Things to Do

Registration Date: Feb 2012

Thanks Given to Others: 233
Karma Power: 0
biboy2012 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! I'm trying to write detailed Customer Service Work Instructions

So, I'm trying to write detailed customer service work instructions, as instructed by my boss, for the following medium:

- Telephone
- Email, letter
- Walk-In or face-to-face

For example, telephone….

1. Picks-up phone or answers calls not more than the third ring.
2. Keep automated voice messaging system on during breaks (e.g. lunch, after office hours etc)
3. Utilizes a script for answering the phone
4. Takes down the customer's name, contact numbers, requests, inquiries, or complaints.
And so on

How did I do/doing so far?

Please help me in coming out with an idea.

Thanks for any help Cover's.

Sponsored Links
Old 25th February 2012, 06:32 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 3,160
Thanked 4,463 Times in 3,158 Posts
Karma Power: 1517
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Customer Service Work Instructions

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by biboy2012 View Post

So, I'm trying to write detailed customer service work instructions, as instructed by my boss, for the following medium:

- Telephone
- Email, letter
- Walk-In or face-to-face

For example, telephone….

1. Picks-up phone or answers calls not more than the third ring.
2. Keep automated voice messaging system on during breaks (e.g. lunch, after office hours etc)
3. Utilizes a script for answering the phone
4. Takes down the customer's name, contact numbers, requests, inquiries, or complaints.
And so on

How did I do/doing so far?

Please help me in coming out with an idea.

Thanks for any help Cover's.
Keep going and show us the final product!

Stijloor.
Sponsored Links

Old 25th February 2012, 07:20 AM
Other Things to Do

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Stijloor View Post

Keep going and show us the final product!

Stijloor.
Thanks, Sir. I will post the final product once it's finished, but I need suggestion/help on the following specific points:

- Building rapport
- Dealing with difficult calls
- varying vocal pitch

How 'building rapport,' 'varying vocal pitch,' and 'dealing with difficult calls' tasks should be worded and integrated in a work instruction? Can anyone give me sample statements of said tasks?

Writing just isn’t my thing.
Old 25th February 2012, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Sep 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,479
Thanked 2,942 Times in 2,046 Posts
Karma Power: 694
harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

These are my views:

1. With regards to service standards such as time to pick up calls or to respond to emails and letters, check with your bosses. They have to set it either unilaterally or in consultation with the relevant people.

2. With the regards to the when, where, who and how to's, discuss with the process owners or those involved. The worst thing to do is to shaft something alien down their throats - worse than canned solutions.
Thank You to harry for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 25th February 2012, 08:35 AM
Other Things to Do

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by harry View Post

These are my views:

1. With regards to service standards such as time to pick up calls or to respond to emails and letters, check with your bosses. They have to set it either unilaterally or in consultation with the relevant people.
Agreed.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by harry View Post

2. With the regards to the when, where, who and how to's, discuss with the process owners or those involved. The worst thing to do is to shaft something alien down their throats - worse than canned solutions.
I think that's true. But our feeling is that, documenting this is necessary because there is a risk involves and we want this be performed in a consistent manner. Yes, I will consult the 'activity owner' as a user, and of course, the work instruction should come from firsthand knowledge of the activity.
Old 25th February 2012, 10:53 AM
wikineer

Registration Date: Feb 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 571
Karma Power: 99
Pancho is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Pancho is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pancho is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pancho is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pancho is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pancho is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pancho is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pancho is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pancho is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pancho is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pancho is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pancho is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pancho is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by biboy2012 View Post

Thanks, Sir. I will post the final product once it's finished, but I need suggestion/help on the following specific points:

- Building rapport
- Dealing with difficult calls
- varying vocal pitch

How 'building rapport,' 'varying vocal pitch,' and 'dealing with difficult calls' tasks should be worded and integrated in a work instruction? Can anyone give me sample statements of said tasks?

Writing just isn’t my thing.
We have a "phone etiquette policy" document that touches upon these points. All new hires get to go over it during their HR introduction to the company. FWIW, here's an excerpt from it to get you going:

5. Managing rude or impatient callers
  • Stay calm. Be diplomatic and polite. Irritation will be detected and further annoy to the caller.
  • Always smile. Always show a will to solve the problem or conflict, and provide your best answer to their questions.
  • Try to think like the caller. Their problems and concerns are very important.
  • Do transfer the call to your boss when the caller insists.
Thank You to Pancho for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 25th February 2012, 06:32 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 3,262
Thanked 3,065 Times in 1,753 Posts
Karma Power: 640
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: I'm trying to write detailed Customer Service Work Instructions

I am wondering why such things as "answer the phone before the third ring" must be written down in instructions. If a phone is ringing and the operator is not occupied, does he or she wait until the 4th or 5th ring to answer? Or, is the operator already busy and is thus unavailable to answer right away?

My point is, instead of listing such requirements attend to the reasons why they are not yet met well enough.

In addition, as a person who calls my internet host provider for technical assistance I am always happy if that person is NOT using a scripted process. I am best served when that person is knowledgeable in the applications and is a good communicator, a good problem solver and has a pleasant demeanor when dealing with me. This is especially important because I am calling because I am not very smart in the subject at hand... much patience is needed.

"If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." Abraham Maslow
Thanks to Jennifer Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 25th February 2012, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Sep 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,479
Thanked 2,942 Times in 2,046 Posts
Karma Power: 694
harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: I'm trying to write detailed Customer Service Work Instructions

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jennifer Kirley View Post

I am wondering why such things as "answer the phone before the third ring" must be written down in instructions. If a phone is ringing and the operator is not occupied, does he or she wait until the 4th or 5th ring to answer? Or, is the operator already busy and is thus unavailable to answer right away?

My point is, instead of listing such requirements attend to the reasons why they are not yet met well enough. ......................
You brought up an interesting subject especially in areas where English is a second language.

1. I think the written guide, script or whatever you call that is usually applicable to the telephone receptionist (operator) who are normally given some other duties on top of answering incoming calls. The written guide reinforces the importance of giving priority to incoming calls.

2. You will be surprise how people fumble and with all kinds of broken English when receiving calls. A typical untrained receptionist's response to a call over here is something like this - Call who?.................. Not in. (Bang). Many just don't have enough nice words in their vocabulary that scripts need to be given. Over time, they may not need them anymore.
Thank You to harry for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Quality Manager Issues > Customer Complaints including ISO 10002

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?