The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
class i medical device, iec 60601 - medical electrical equipment, medical equipment (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 18th May 2012, 10:57 AM
Getting Involved (6 to 9 Posts)

Registration Date: May 2011

Thanks Given to Others: 5
Karma Power: 13
ale_pb has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! IEC 60601 Ground Bond Test Requirements for a Plastic Enclosure

Hello

My question is:

Let's say that I have a CLASS I EQUIPMENT, with a plastic enclosure and no accessible metal parts.
Reading the 60601-1 it seems to me that, if I don't have any accessible metal parts, the ground bond test is not necessary. Am I correct?

Best Regards

Sponsored Links
Old 18th May 2012, 11:55 AM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Jan 2011

Thanks Given to Others: 100
Karma Power: 68
Pads38 is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pads38 is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pads38 is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pads38 is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pads38 is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pads38 is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pads38 is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pads38 is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pads38 is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pads38 is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pads38 is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pads38 is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pads38 is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Pads38 is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Ground bond test - Plastic enclosure

The ground bond test verifies the impedance of the protective earth. If you have a protective earth (defined term in 60601-1) then you need the test.

For a type approval test this could be done 'with the lid off' but it is also one of the tests that a hospital service department would expect to do and you run the risk of problems if you don't make it easy for them. (Things like trying to use 25A test current on a point that goes via a small circuit board trace).

I have found that adding an equipotential point on the rear panel gives a nice easy place to test without being difficult or expensive to fit.
Thanks to Pads38 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 18th May 2012, 12:04 PM
Getting Involved (6 to 9 Posts)

Registration Date: May 2011

Thanks Given to Others: 5
Karma Power: 13
ale_pb has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: IEC 60601 Ground Bond Test Requirements for a Plastic Enclosure

Thanks Pads.
Old 18th May 2012, 12:28 PM
Addicted to standards

Registration Date: Mar 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 326
Thanked 1,708 Times in 913 Posts
Karma Power: 288
Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via ICQ to Marcelo Antunes Send a message via MSN to Marcelo Antunes Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelo Antunes

Quote:
Let's say that I have a CLASS I EQUIPMENT, with a plastic enclosure and no accessible metal parts.
Reading the 60601-1 it seems to me that, if I don't have any accessible metal parts, the ground bond test is not necessary. Am I correct?
For your equipment to be class I, it has to have accesible or internal parts that are protectively earthed. As yours do not have accessible protectively earthed parts, i'm assuming your equipment has internal parts which are protectively earthed.

The ground bound test verify that protectively earthed parts, accessible or internal, have the right impedance. So, assuming that your have those internal parts, the test has to be done in those parts.

If your equipment do not have protectively earthed parts, it cannot be class I.

I'm a moderator on the medical device forums, so if you need help with something, feel free to ask!
Thanks to Marcelo Antunes for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 20th May 2012, 07:54 PM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Oct 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 42
Karma Power: 104
Peter Selvey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Peter Selvey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Peter Selvey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Under IEC 60601-1:1988/A2:1995 this is poorly written part of the standard so easy to overlook.

Clause 18g covers only accessible protectively earthed metal parts, with the typical 25A / 0.1ohm test.

Clause 18f covers "other" protectively earthed metal parts and then goes on to describe an alternate test. The way it is written means it is often mistakenly considered not applicable if the alternate test is not applied, and the IECEE CB scheme protocol has promoted this mistake (many test engineers read only the protocol, not the standard). As such, the test of internal protectively earthed parts is frequently overlooked.

But the correct interpretation is that for internal parts, either the test of 18g (i.e. 0.1ohm / 25A) or the alternate test applies. Either way, internal protectively earthed parts must be tested with the result recorded under Clause 18f.

The 3rd edition, IEC 60601-1:2005 has removed the word "accessible" from the applicable clause, so the problem no longer exists.
Thanks to Peter Selvey for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?