Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Design and Development of Products and Processes
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Computing Failure Torque for Helicoil Threads in 6061-T6 Aluminum

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
aluminum (general topics), threads (of fasteners such as nuts and bolts), torque, torque specifications or requirements

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 13th June 2012, 10:19 AM
bills5

Total Posts: 2
Please Help! Computing Failure Torque for Helicoil Threads in 6061-T6 Aluminum

Can anyone tell me how to compute the maximum allowable torque for a 4-40 helicoil (.112 nominal length) in 6061-t6 aluminum?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 14th June 2012, 05:26 AM
Stijloor

Total Posts: 14,703
Re: Computing Failure Torque of 6061-t6 Aluminum Threads

A Quick Bump!

Can someone help?

Thank you very much!!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 14th June 2012, 02:23 PM
Mikishots

Total Posts: 851
Re: Computing Failure Torque of 6061-t6 Aluminum Threads

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by bills5 View Post

Can anyone tell me how to compute the maximum allowable torque for a 4-40 helicoil (.112 nominal length) in 6061-t6 aluminum?
Don't know about calculating it, but the website states that the maximum is 48 oz-in for a 4(.112)-40 Heli-coil insert.
  Post Number #4  
Old 14th June 2012, 02:38 PM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,077
Re: Computing Failure Torque for Helicoil Threads in 6061-T6 Aluminum

Quote:

Welcome to the Cove.

I don't think there's any way to calculate the value because of the variables involved--thickness of material, the integrity of the existing threads, proper insertion of the Helicoil, etc.
  Post Number #5  
Old 14th June 2012, 02:53 PM
bills5

Total Posts: 2

i believe the 48in oz. given is the locking torque that the locking feature of the helicoil exerts on the inserted screw. (you'll notice that this number decreases with the number of insertions due to the fact the locking feature is spring-like and wears.
  Post Number #6  
Old 14th June 2012, 07:29 PM
Mikishots

Total Posts: 851

Quote:

i believe the 48in oz. given is the locking torque that the locking feature of the helicoil exerts on the inserted screw. (you'll notice that this number decreases with the number of insertions due to the fact the locking feature is spring-like and wears.
Agreed. I have also noticed that the chart only shows the torques for stainless steel - I missed that important note.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Design and Development of Products and Processes

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?