The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Nonconformance and Corrective Action
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
audit nonconformances and findings, audits and auditing, internal audits, nonconformances, root cause failure analysis

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 28th June 2012, 08:04 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Apr 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 40
Booker has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Root Cause Analysis for Minor Non-Conformities identified in an Audit

Hello,
I am working at small company 50 employees.
We have been audited last month with three minor NCs.

One of them is:
"Internal Audit process not fully implemented, QMS was not covered in its entirety during the last 12 month period. Production process not audited in the last 12 month."

Frankly said we miss them for no special reason. Just I was lazy auditor, whatever.

Can anyone advise me some "good" root cause, why these audit haven't be performed.

Sorry for english.

Last edited by Booker; 28th June 2012 at 08:12 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old 28th June 2012, 08:20 AM
IRCA QMS Lead Auditor

Registration Date: Dec 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 12
Karma Power: 32
keres is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.keres is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.keres is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.keres is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.keres is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.keres is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.keres is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to keres
Re: Root Cause for minor Non-Conformities

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Booker View Post

One of them is:
"Internal Audit process not fully implemented, QMS was not covered in its entirety during the last 12 month period. Production process not audited in the last 12 month."
And this is noncoformity against what?

Quote:

Frankly said we miss them for no special reason. Just I was lazy auditor, whatever.

Can anyone advise me some "good" root cause, why these audit haven't be performed.
The reason for your NC is somewhere here.
Sponsored Links

Old 28th June 2012, 08:42 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Mar 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 52
Karma Power: 57
treesei is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.treesei is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.treesei is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.treesei is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.treesei is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.treesei is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.
Re: Root Cause Analysis for Minor Non-Conformities identified in an Audit

Quote:

Hello,
I am working at small company 50 employees.
We have been audited last month with three minor NCs.

One of them is:

Sorry for english.
Almost all system failures can be tracked back to "poor management".

You may try to see if there was lacking of resources, undefined requirements, etc.
Old 28th June 2012, 08:45 AM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 3,335
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,776 Posts
Karma Power: 646
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Good day Booker, I have some questions:

1) Which standard is this NC against?

2) What does your procedure say about how often you will audit what process?

3) What does your schedule say about how often you will audit what process?

"If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." Abraham Maslow
Thanks to Jennifer Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 28th June 2012, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Sep 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,501
Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,066 Posts
Karma Power: 701
harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:

...................... Frankly said we miss them for no special reason. Just I was lazy auditor, whatever. ..................
If this is the real reason, why is there a need for a root cause analysis? A correction will do!
Thank You to harry for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 28th June 2012, 09:08 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Apr 2005

Karma Power: 40
Booker has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Auditor put it under 8.2.2.1, but this is regarding to Process Audit which is 8.2.2.2.

We have Audit Schedule along with Process Audits for our main three production processes (each process have to be audited one per year) and only one Process Audit was performed, other two not.
Old 28th June 2012, 09:23 AM
Email Address Invalid or Rejected by Recipient System

Registration Date: Feb 2011

Thanks Given to Others: 49
Karma Power: 0
pearsonow is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.pearsonow is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.pearsonow is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.

So WHY were the other 2 not done?

That is what needs to be root caused, corrected and eliminated as a future source of none-conformities.

Olly
Thanks to pearsonow for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 28th June 2012, 09:37 AM
Courtesy Access

Registration Date: May 2001

Karma Power: 155
tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

I ran into this my last place. As far as ISO 9001 and TS-16949 go, there is not a requirement to audit your system annually as far as I can tell. The wording for TS is rather vague about "an annual schedule", and I never got a good interpretation as to "audit everything every 12 months" or "have a schedule every 12 months". There is a thread about it here somewhere.

The second time it came up I did not fight it as audits were not even done per our schedule. Root cause was a lack of resources (auditors and time) provided by top management. We had lost a couple auditors and the others were busy getting parts out the door with record sales. Formalizing an audit to report stuff I already knew (very small place) and knew I couldn't fix (other lacking resources) was not the #1 priority. I also thought it would wake management up if they took a hit from a TS auditor since they wouldn't listen to me. Corrective action - I don't know. My last day was the day of that audit (I had stayed to get them through it).

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Nonconformance and Corrective Action

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?