Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Regulations > Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
class i medical device, medical device company or industry, relocation

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 4th January 2013, 12:00 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Aug 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 9
Karma Power: 24
Nancy Allen has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Requirements when moving locations - Class 1 Medical Device Manufacturer in the US

Hi All,
Our company, a Class 1 Medical Device manufacturer in the US, is moving locations in less than 6 months. What are the requirements as far as notifications to different countries regulatory bodies? Is there any place to find thins information in one place or do I need to check by individual country?

Many Thanks!
Nancy

Sponsored Links
Old 4th January 2013, 12:46 AM
Glad to help, if I can

Registration Date: Mar 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 1,856
Thanked 1,273 Times in 885 Posts
Karma Power: 254
Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Requirements when moving locations - Class 1 Medical Device Manufacturer in the U

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Nancy Allen View Post

Hi All,
Our company, a Class 1 Medical Device manufacturer in the US, is moving locations in less than 6 months. What are the requirements as far as notifications to different countries regulatory bodies? Is there any place to find thins information in one place or do I need to check by individual country?

Many Thanks!
Nancy
Hi,

As far as notifications go -

FDA: Update your establishment registration and device listing. There may be additional requirements under state legislation (the state(s) your facilities are and will be in).

EC: Contact your EC (Authorized) Representative - they are required to notify the the authorities.

If you specify other domains in which you sell, perhaps more specific advice can be provided.

Of course you'll have to handle the labeling change as well (probably already doing so).

I'm not aware of a single location where such requirements are listed for more than one regulatory domain. Sorry.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Everybody is looking for freebies. You can minimize your advice spending but are you minimizing your total cost?
Thank You to Ronen E for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 4th January 2013, 09:32 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Aug 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 9
Karma Power: 24
Nancy Allen has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: Requirements when moving locations - Class 1 Medical Device Manufacturer in the U

Thanks, Ronen-
I have identified the FDA, Canada and the EU as the three agencies for which we (or our authorized rep) register directly. We use distributors for other countries to which we sell (e.g., Japan, China, Brazil and Audtralia), and they have had responsibility for any country registrations. I am thinking that we need to notify the distributors and not the country regulatory body directly, but I need a sanity check. Since you mention labeling, the other questuion that has come up is the labeling requirements for a prodcut that is built at our current location but shipped from our new one...... I am just starting to dig for answers and any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 4th January 2013, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Mar 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 1,584
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,695 Posts
Karma Power: 519
somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to somashekar

Quote:

Thanks, Ronen-
I have identified the FDA, Canada and the EU as the three agencies for which we (or our authorized rep) register directly. We use distributors for other countries to which we sell (e.g., Japan, China, Brazil and Audtralia), and they have had responsibility for any country registrations. I am thinking that we need to notify the distributors and not the country regulatory body directly, but I need a sanity check. Since you mention labeling, the other questuion that has come up is the labeling requirements for a prodcut that is built at our current location but shipped from our new one...... I am just starting to dig for answers and any input is greatly appreciated.
As you have about 6 months time, and you will have to build up inventory to sustain your re-location and settling time, determine the volume / batches that you will build in the current location, and have your labels to meet this. There may be some safety stock labels that may go scrap, but this will take care of your present location labels and the cut-off batch details. The next batch onwards will be in your new location and the labels can as well be planned for them. You need to assess realistic dates and quantities based upon your experience. Once labelled, shipping from your new location is no issue as you have determined in advance where the product has been made.

Best Regards...
Somashekar BV, INDIA
Thanks to somashekar for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 4th January 2013, 12:09 PM
Glad to help, if I can

Registration Date: Mar 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 1,856
Thanked 1,273 Times in 885 Posts
Karma Power: 254
Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:

Thanks, Ronen-
Hi,

I'm no expert on Canada, hopefully someone else will assist with that. For markets where a distributor is responsible for registration, it makes sense to me to contact those distributors and make sure that they're on top of things. For Australia I can tell you right away that the Australian Sponsor (=the importer who originally registered) will have to inform the TGA, and there may be some associated work. If you have a decent AU Sponsor they should be aware of the requirements and process.

WRT labeling, I tend to think that the location of actual manufacturing matters, and if certain units / batches are later shifted to a different storage / despatch location it shouldn't affect the label manufacturer address, but a careful review of the requirements for each domain is probably the right way to go. I assume the relocation is managed under change control, and that since it's such a big thing it has it's project leader, project team and project plan, so this kind of activity probably belongs there as one of the Gantt chart items...

Cheers,
Ronen.

Everybody is looking for freebies. You can minimize your advice spending but are you minimizing your total cost?

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Regulations > Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?