The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Regulations > US Medical Device Regulations > US Medical Devices (21 CFR part 820)
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
capa (corrective and preventive action), nonconformances, qsr (quality system requirements), training (general), training (on-the-job), training effectiveness, validation (general), verification (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 24th March 2013, 09:38 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Feb 2011

Thanks Given to Others: 59
Karma Power: 23
Aphel has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! How to verify and validate the effectiveness of CAPA with regards to employees ?

Hello!

I have problems in understanding the intention of the QSR regarding the requirements for verification and/or validation of CAPA actions to ensure they do not adversely affect the product...

A CAPA can be necessary for varios nonconformities...if a corrective action is a design change, then I understand what to do regarding verifiaction or validation.

But what if the corrective action is for example training of employees? How can I verify or validate this action to ensure that it does not adversely affect the product...??? I am a little bit confused. Can anybody help???

Thank you very much in advance!
Best regards, Aphel.

Sponsored Links
Old 24th March 2013, 12:29 PM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,047
Thanked 5,970 Times in 3,806 Posts
Karma Power: 1529
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: How to verify and validate the effectiveness of CAPA with regards to employees ?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Aphel View Post

Hello!

I have problems in understanding the intention of the QSR regarding the requirements for verification and/or validation of CAPA actions to ensure they do not adversely affect the product...

A CAPA can be necessary for varios nonconformities...if a corrective action is a design change, then I understand what to do regarding verifiaction or validation.

But what if the corrective action is for example training of employees? How can I verify or validate this action to ensure that it does not adversely affect the product...??? I am a little bit confused. Can anybody help???

Thank you very much in advance!
Best regards, Aphel.
If you have competent employees who make random and isolated mistakes, and you've conscientiously debugged the process, there should be no need for corrective action. On the other hand, if you don't have a reliable method for evaluating competence, that's the process that needs to be addressed. Competent people shouldn't need to be retrained.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Sponsored Links

Old 24th March 2013, 06:44 PM
Glad to help, if I can

Registration Date: Mar 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 1,704
Thanked 1,148 Times in 803 Posts
Karma Power: 232
Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: How to verify and validate the effectiveness of CAPA with regards to employees ?

Hi,

From what I've been able to find in FDA guidance, there are no specific and direct measures to be taken to ensure that CAPA involving actions not directly affecting the product (i.e. CAPA that doesn't involve design changes, manufacturing process changes etc.) does not adversely affect the product. A generic (and indirect) measure that can be taken is trending product quality issues pre and post CAPA implementation.

Verification of CAPA effectiveness is much simpler (for any sort of CAPA) -- check that the identified root cause has been eliminated.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Everybody is looking for freebies. You can minimize your advice spending but are you minimizing your total cost?

Last edited by Ronen E; 25th March 2013 at 12:50 AM.
Thanks to Ronen E for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 25th March 2013, 03:57 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Feb 2011

Thanks Given to Others: 59
Karma Power: 23
Aphel has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Hello Ronen,

So according your understanding...if I have a non-product-related measure "training" in my CAPA plan, I do not have to verfy or validate this measure to avoid possible side effects on the medical device...???

Best regards,
Aphel
Old 25th March 2013, 04:21 AM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: Dec 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,745
Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,671 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Look! Re: How to verify and validate the effectiveness of CAPA with regards to employees ?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Aphel View Post

Hello Ronen,

So according your understanding...if I have a non-product-related measure "training" in my CAPA plan, I do not have to verfy or validate this measure to avoid possible side effects on the medical device...???

Best regards,
Aphel
If your proposed CAPAs are effective, then the same non conformity should not recur and that is what is "effectiveness". On the other hand, if the issue pops up again, your CAPAs in the first place were not effective.

In your example, if your Root Cause Analysis had proved that the defect was caused by people and that training could help resolve it ... the issue should not come again after imparting training.

Hope that helps

You canít use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have Ė Maya Angelou
Thanks to Ajit Basrur for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 25th March 2013, 10:19 AM
Not out of the crisis

Registration Date: Apr 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 174
Karma Power: 295
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

If you are re-training in an existing process and not making any changes to the process, design, materials, etc then it should not edversely affect the device.

The concern here is with changes... if nothing is changing then there should not be an adverse effect on the device.

If the training changes something then you have to evaluate the need for change control and revalidation.

Time for a new sig line.
My LinkedIn Profile
Thanks to ScottK for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Regulations > US Medical Device Regulations > US Medical Devices (21 CFR part 820)

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?