The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
leak test, measurement techniques and procedures

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 9th October 2013, 11:42 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jun 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 2
Karma Power: 20
GURU SDI has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Measurement - Pressure Drop vs. Leak Rate

Hi all,

I want to measure a leak rate (air) for my assembly. In my technical drawing, it is specified as "X ccm" at testing pressure (P) for a testing time "t" secs.

But My supplier having an instrument which measures leak rate as pressure drop instead of actual leak rate. now i want to give allowable pressure drop for the leak testing process.

Kindly provide your inputs.

thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 10th October 2013, 05:49 AM
looking for answers

Registration Date: May 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 54
Karma Power: 36
rob73 is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.rob73 is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.rob73 is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.rob73 is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.rob73 is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.rob73 is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.rob73 is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.rob73 is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.rob73 is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.rob73 is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.rob73 is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.
Re: Pressure Drop Vs Leak Rate

Guru
See http://newsletters.inficon.com/LEAKT...techtalk1.html this give the formula to convert pressure drop to leakage rate and vice versa

Rob
Yes, I have a learning curve, unfortunately it's nearly horizonal
Sponsored Links

Old 10th October 2013, 01:43 PM
Heretical Statistician

Registration Date: Jan 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 1,237
Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,244 Posts
Karma Power: 376
Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Measurement - Pressure Drop vs. Leak Rate

Alternativley you can develop the formula for yourself by performing a straight forward correlation study.

first select some parts (30 if possible but no fewer than 10 if they are rare)
have yourself and the supplier measure each unit twice.

determine the repeatability of your system and the supplier's system.
if both systems are sufficiently repeatable perform a regression on the first measurement made by yourself and the supplier - this wil give you the conversion formula based on the exact specifics (uniqueness) of each system.

Statistics without physics is gambling; Physics without statistics is psychics
Old 10th October 2013, 02:11 PM
Involved in Discussions

Re: Pressure Drop Vs Leak Rate

Thanks Rob...

But this equation is arrived based on the perfect gas equation, which assumes the process takes place under constant temperature (practically temp is not constant during my test) and moreover i am having difficulty in measuring the exact volume of my test piece.

so i planned to take the readings in both pressure drop and leak rate for 50 samples.. & there should be linear relationship between these two variables...so I can arrive best line of fit between leak rate and pressure drop...

From the straight line equation, i my get pressure drop...

Any other views to measure...thanks in advance
Old 10th October 2013, 02:15 PM
Involved in Discussions

Thanks Bev

Please see my post, will my study give good result..

Provide your inputs
Old 10th October 2013, 04:33 PM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Sep 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 10
Karma Power: 165
gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.

Compressed air should be looked at as a system. Use an ultrsonic leak detector to find leaks. Pressure drops can be a result of many different things, distance,couplings, etc. Develope a leak detection system. A single 1/16 leak can run about $732 an year based on $0.07kWH and up to 30% of compressed air is consumed by leaks. Compressed air is also not an energy efficient power source(5-10% at most)and costs 6-8 times the cost of electric.

Last edited by gpainter; 10th October 2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10th October 2013, 08:21 PM
$ Contributor

Thanks Given to Others: 27
Karma Power: 34
dgriffith is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.dgriffith is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.dgriffith is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.dgriffith is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.dgriffith is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.dgriffith is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.dgriffith is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.dgriffith is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.dgriffith is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.

If I have a closed system with 10 psi in it, and I measure the pressure again after 5 minutes and I have 8 psi in it, what is my average leak rate? I think it is 2 psi/5 minutes which is 0.4 psi/min.

When I connect an Air Data Test Set up to an aircraft and perform a leak check on the pitot-static system, I'm going to get pressure per unit time (or altitude or airspeed/time), and I'm not going to care about the volume of the system--Piper Cub or 787. The test set doesn't care.

What is of concern are the variables--most important being adiabatics. Unless the system is temperature stabilized, gas temperature changes will cause pressure changes--for a given volume--that will mimic a leak. Leak checks performed immediately after evacuation or pressurization will run that risk.

So, as a baseline, I would pressurize the system, wait 60 seconds, and measure/record the pressure every minute for 5 minutes. I would plot the values and see how curvy it was. Too curvy at the top means wait longer before starting to record. If it's not too curvy, then establish a 1st order slope (regression line). You could then predict a pressure leak anywhere along the line for a given time.
In other words, for a 2 minutes leak check x, after waiting to stabilize, you should get a pressure value y ąsome error.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?