Have a nice Halloween!
Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Manufacturing and Related Processes
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
inspection frequency, inspection methods and plans, inspectors

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 5th November 2013, 03:43 AM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Aug 2012

Thanks Given to Others: 60
Karma Power: 46
TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.
Yin Yang In-Process vs. Final Inspection

"That's not my job!" comments were heard daily at one of my previous companies, either followed or preceded by "see Joe Bloggs" or some other not made up name. Now I work in a company where there is so much movement around the company by a multi-skilled workforce.

Note: I split this discussion from the thread How to write a Project Plan to Overhaul our QMS. It was not really on topic, and deserved a thread of its own.

/Claes

Sponsored Links
Old 5th November 2013, 08:45 AM
Quality Manager

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 520
Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,970 Posts
Karma Power: 1185
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: How to write a Project Plan to Overhaul our QMS

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by TPMB4 View Post

"That's not my job!" comments were heard daily at one of my previous companies, either followed or preceded by "see Joe Bloggs" or some other not made up name. Now I work in a company where there is so much movement around the company by a multi-skilled workforce.
Congratulations on landing with an organization that "Gets it!"

"Few minds wear out; more rust out"
Inscribed over the entrance of Louis Pasteur School, Chicago
Christian Nestell Bovee (1820-1904) in Thoughts, Feelings and Fancies, 1857
Thanks to Wes Bucey for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 5th November 2013, 10:38 AM

TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.TPMB4 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.

Unfortunately Wes they don't always get it. We don't hear that phrase and the workforce has become multi-skilled, but there are some resistant people who still adhere to quality control from decades ago. They see anyone in a quality role as being there to check their work. If there is a NC then their first response is "well you didn't check that well did you?!!" Even the bosses input doesn't dampen their view of quality role and the change from control to assurance.

But I thank you for your compliment on behalf of my company (for I will take it as that).

Last edited by TPMB4; 5th November 2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Added "...on behalf of my company" since it is mostly their efforts that make quality a worthwhile field to be in.
Old 5th November 2013, 10:47 AM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: May 2000

Thanks Given to Others: 1,413
Karma Power: 400
Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Lightbulb Re: How to write a Project Plan to Overhaul our QMS

Quote:

but there are some resistant people who still adhere to quality control from decades ago. They see anyone in a quality role as being there to check their work. If there is a NC then their first response is "well you didn't check that well did you?!!"
Any possibility to make it their job to check their own work? That usually changes that tune in a hurry and besides, it should be their task in the first place...

/Claes

Hanlon's Razor.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
User Groups: Elsmar Cove Cycling Enthusiasts Formula 1 fanatics Photo freaks Readers Corner
Old 5th November 2013, 11:25 AM

It is their job and they do it but they still think it is down to Quality guy to do a final inspection. It could be their way to get themselves off the hook if something got through, cue comments like "well you didn't check it!!". I shudder when someone uses the defence "that's your job, that is! I make 'em, you check 'em!" A rare occurrence but does happen. In some ways it is my job since I guess if you error proofed a process it takes away a lot of the need for inspections (visual or gauged).

Sorry, but this is a little off topic.

Last edited by TPMB4; 5th November 2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Off topic comment added
Thanks to TPMB4 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 5th November 2013, 11:28 AM
Quality Manager

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 520
Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,970 Posts
Karma Power: 1185
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:

Unfortunately Wes they don't always get it. We don't hear that phrase and the workforce has become multi-skilled, but there are some resistant people who still adhere to quality control from decades ago. They see anyone in a quality role as being there to check their work. If there is a NC then their first response is "well you didn't check that well did you?!!" Even the bosses input doesn't dampen their view of quality role and the change from control to assurance.

But I thank you for your compliment on behalf of my company (for I will take it as that).
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Claes Gefvenberg View Post

Any possibility to make it their job to check their own work? That usually changes that tune in a hurry and besides, it should be their task in the first place...

/Claes
I agree with Claes that operators should check their own work. I've written about this on a number of occasions. Back in March, I wrote a post which included links to some of those earlier posts
Quote:
Regular Cove readers may be familiar with my frequent rants against "Kwality Kops" (those Keystone Kop types who relish their power to say "gotcha" when they detect a nonconformance.)

Ideally, there is no "us versus them" rivalry in the workplace. All should be happy to work toward a common goal of a more efficient, profitable environment.

I have written previously that our Quality guys did not perform routine inspections - they designed the inspection protocol for each part and trained operators, interfaced with customers and suppliers, and acted as "court of last resort" when issues arose.

In my own operation, I took the police action out of the quality function and had a much happier workforce. The following post is an overview description of what we did. Perhaps you might glean some insight into helping your organization work in cooperation instead of conflict.
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.ph...21&postcount=9

I went into more detail in this series of posts:
Wes Bucey on an efficient shop - empowerment (This is a single post (#18) in a longer thread - the url leads directly to the post - it is associated with a follow-up in post #20)
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=105469&postcount=18
Wes Bucey on quoting and empowerment (This is a single post (#20) in a longer thread - the url leads directly to the post)
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=105566&postcount=20

In process and final inspection:

Re: Inspection Dimensional Check Sheets - Over 500 part numbers

Who inspects?
I, too, ran a shop where primary responsibility...

Control Charts
In my high tech machining business (1990 -2000),...

What makes sense?
In point of fact, I have seen several operations...
A big part of why the schemes worked in my operation was because as the top guy, I was personally involved in making it happen. A key part of my strategy was to get EVERYONE involved in the decision making by putting EVERYONE in production on the MRB with concomitant authority and responsibility. Empowerment along with deployment of Deming's System of Profound Knowledge really DOES work.

Maybe there is something in what worked for me that will strike a responsive chord in your top bosses if you expose them to it.

"Few minds wear out; more rust out"
Inscribed over the entrance of Louis Pasteur School, Chicago
Christian Nestell Bovee (1820-1904) in Thoughts, Feelings and Fancies, 1857
Thanks to Wes Bucey for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 5th November 2013, 03:39 PM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: May 2000

Thanks Given to Others: 1,413
Karma Power: 400
Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Lightbulb Re: How to write a Project Plan to Overhaul our QMS

Quote:

It is their job and they do it but they still think it is down to Quality guy to do a final inspection.
If they use final inspection as an excuse, maybe it's time to retrain them and remove the final inspection? Inspecting the same thing twice is a mug's game anyway...

/Claes

Hanlon's Razor.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
User Groups: Elsmar Cove Cycling Enthusiasts Formula 1 fanatics Photo freaks Readers Corner
Old 5th November 2013, 03:57 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: May 2011

Thanks Given to Others: 1,005
Karma Power: 20
qpled has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Claes Gefvenberg View Post

If they use final inspection as an excuse, maybe it's time to retrain them and remove the final inspection? Inspecting the same thing twice is a mug's game anyway...

/Claes
mug's game??? I think I know what you mean but please explain - thanks!
Thanks to qpled for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Manufacturing and Related Processes

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?