Have a nice Halloween!
Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > ISO 13485 and ISO 14969 - Medical Devices - Quality Management Systems
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
iso 13485 - medical device qms, requirements and specifications, documented procedures (requirements for), documents and documentation (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2003, 10:18 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jan 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 50
Bill Marshall has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Question ISO 13485 Calibration Requirements - Requiring a Documented Procedure for control?

Dear All,

We have a simple process in place for the control of calibrated items consisting of a schedule of the due dates for calibration and the associated certificates for all items. The process works effectively without a written procedure.

Our UK registration body have now issued a “significant” non conformity against us requiring a documented procedure for the control of monitoring and measuring devices. They have recognised that all of the records that are in place are fully satisfactory.

The appropriate paragraph fro the standard is :-

……The organisation shall establish documented procedures to ensure that monitoring and measurement can be carried out in a manner that is consistent with the monitoring and measuring requirements……

I interpret this as applying to the use of the device to perform the test, not to the control of the device itself. With hindsight, I now I disagree with their interpretation.

Has anyone else been subjected to this interpretation ? I’m tempted to argue the point at the next visit, but I don’t think that I want to dig my heels in if the whole of the industry is going the other way.

Any comments gratefully received,

Bill Marshall

Sponsored Links
Old 3rd November 2003, 12:09 PM
Thaumaturge

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 992
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,047 Posts
Karma Power: 490
howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Although I haven't been audited to 13485:2003, I certainly agree with your interpretation. It doesn't say you need documented procedures for calibration of equipment, it says you need procedures for monitoring and measurement.

I wouldn't wait until their next visit to address this issue, I'd try to contact a technical resource at your registrar to resolve the question while it's still fresh.
Sponsored Links

Old 3rd November 2003, 12:32 PM
E-Mails Invalid or Rejected by Recipient System

Registration Date: Jul 2002

Karma Power: 0
Jimmy Olson is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.Jimmy Olson is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.Jimmy Olson is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.
I would agree with Howste's interpretation. However, I can see how some would interpret it differently. In order to ensure that monitoring and measurement can be carried out consistent with the requirements, it is implied that the equipment used be calibrated. This is definately something that I would discuss with your registrar to get a clear interpretation, and again agreeing with Howste, I wouldn't wait. One thing that you can suggest and see if your registrar would accept is to have a statement somewhere saying that all equipment used shall be calibrated. Hopefully this helps somewhat. Keep us posted as to what happens, this is an interesting one.
Old 4th November 2003, 04:10 PM
Involved in Discussions

Thanks for the replies, it was good to have confirmation of my interpretation.

I have now discussed it with the registation body and they agreed (provisionally) that the first 2 paragraphs of the clause apply to the use of devices and that the rest of the clause applies to calibration of those items.

The guy I spoke to seemed fairly confident, but will not confirm it until the interpretation is submitted in writing.

So, all that is required to demonstrate an effective calibration system is a schedule and appropriate records, which seems like a victory for common sense. I shall now be looking for other opportunities to demonstrate effective control without resorting to written procedures.

regards

Bill Marshall
Old 31st January 2010, 02:47 PM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Jul 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 13
Karma Power: 26
Bud S. has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: 13485 Calibration Requirements - Requiring a Documented Procedure for control?

Documented procedures for calibration are easy to generate and do not have to be over burdensome. Why not just write one that suits your processes and appease your registrar at the same time?

Bud S.
Old 12th February 2010, 11:47 AM
Involved in Discussions

Re: ISO 13485 Calibration Requirements - Requiring a Documented Procedure for control

Although this was written a LONG time ago, the principles are still relevant.

I could appease my registration body, but they are not the primary audience for these documents. We still meet auditors who would like to see more written procedures but who fiind it difficult to demonstrate how the additional documents will improve the process.

I think it's important to write procedures only where they reduce a risk, or otherwise add value to a process. That way, we keep the system simple, and the primary audience (ie the staff) have the instructions that they need without cluttering them up with extras.
Old 12th February 2010, 01:04 PM
Think for a change!

Registration Date: Nov 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 211
Karma Power: 102
DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to DrM2u
Re: ISO 13485 Calibration Requirements - Requiring a Documented Procedure for control

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Bill Marshall View Post

(...) ……The organisation shall establish documented procedures to ensure that monitoring and measurement can be carried out in a manner that is consistent with the monitoring and measuring requirements……

I interpret this as applying to the use of the device to perform the test, not to the control of the device itself. With hindsight, I now I disagree with their interpretation.
Bill, I have to disagree with your interpretation. IMHO the meaning of this requirement (ISO 13485 Clause 7.6) is for the organization to DOCUMENT a procedure that ensures that the measurement performed is suitable for the requirements. This means a few things actually:
- the inspection methods have to be suitable for the type of measurement; for example you might use a salt spray test to inspect for salt corrosion resistance, instead of an acid spray; another example: you might do a chemical analysis to evaluate the chemical composition of a steel
- the inspection equipment has to be suitable for the inspection performed; for example a caliper would not be suitable to measure a dimension with a tolerance of +/-.002" because it is not accurate enough.
- the inspection equipment has to be 'trustworthy' to ensure valid results; this is your CALIBRATION requirement comes in place

So, your documented procedure needs to specify WHAT you do to ensure that suitable methods and suitable equipment are selected, and reliable equipment is used in order to ensure that the monitoring & measurement is consistent with the requirements. Now, it does not have to be a 'brain surgery' procedure. I like to make procedures in a flowchart format and in a case like this I would use a few decision point (yes/no, true/false, left/right, etc). For example: identify measurement requirements -> is method specified? (i.e. ANSI, ISO, TAPPI, etc) -> NO -> customer approval required?-> YES -> jointly develop method -> ... and so on.

And that's my on this topic for now.
Thank You to DrM2u for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 12th February 2010, 01:06 PM
Think for a change!

Registration Date: Nov 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 211
Karma Power: 102
DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to DrM2u

Forgot to add something about inspector's qualifications to my previous posting. Think about INSPECTION as about a process: it has equipment, materials (parts), methods, manpower, etc.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > ISO 13485 and ISO 14969 - Medical Devices - Quality Management Systems

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?