The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > ISO 17025 and related Metrology Topics - Measurement Devices, Calibration and Test Laboratories
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 21st November 2003, 10:15 AM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Apr 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 573
Karma Power: 155
JRKH is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
JRKH is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JRKH is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JRKH is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JRKH is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JRKH is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JRKH is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JRKH is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Yin Yang Verbage to cover tape measures

I know I know. It seems we beat this one to death, but I am trying to put together acceptable verbage to clear a NC from our last audit. We use tape measures for measuring to +/-.06 and up to 8 feet or more. Since most items are checked multiple times during the production cycle using different tapes I do not see a need for a heavy duty recall system for our tapes. The verbage I have come up with is listed below.

Tape measures used by production personnel are verified during production by one or more of the following methods.
1) Checking the same measurement with another tape measure.
2) Checking the same measurement with another, more precise instrument.
3) Verified by checks at subsequent manufacturing operations.
4) Checked against a steel rule
Tape measures used by Quality Control personnel are verified at least monthly against a steel rule maintained for this purpose .
What does the group think, will this fly?

Also for the probability crowd a question:

What is the probability that two metal tape measures used to check the same measurement will have the same error in the same direction? In other words what is the confidence level here?

If my process calls out that a part be checked by two persons and two different tapes, can I claim a reasonable degree of confidence that the measurement is correct?

Happy Friday

Low tech is better than no tech.

The only constant is those who declare, "Things around here will never change!!"

Sponsored Links
Old 21st November 2003, 01:09 PM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Aug 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 93
SteelWoman is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.SteelWoman is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.SteelWoman is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.SteelWoman is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.SteelWoman is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.
We also use tapes a lot here. We verify them at the beginning of each 12 hour shift against a "standard block," and the tapes can be "re-calibrated" every 6 months with a more thorough calibration against a variety of standard blocks. I say "can" because in 6 years I've never seen a tape here actually LAST long enough to get completely re-calibrated. Verifying them every shift limits your recall potential if there's a problem found.

I can also say that in 6 years I've only ever seen ONE defective tape - it was missing an inch between 6 and 7? ! Bizzarro.

We recently solicited the manufacturer that MAKES the tapes for a letter attesting to the standards they use for manufacturing tapes - it turned out, to my surprise, to be quite stringent. We keep the letter on file "just in case" it comes up during an audit.

Course, you could ask my assistant and he'd tell you I keep EVERY PIECE OF PAPER on file "just in case." It's not a problem for ME - HE has to do the filing!
Sponsored Links

Old 21st November 2003, 01:19 PM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Oct 2002

Karma Power: 47
SteelMan has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Send a message via MSN to SteelMan
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by SteelWoman

Course, you could ask my assistant and he'd tell you I keep EVERY PIECE OF PAPER on file "just in case." It's not a problem for ME - HE has to do the filing!
I often wonder if I have copies of the same thing just to be certain!

STEELMan-AZ
Old 21st November 2003, 01:38 PM
An Early 'Cover'

Registration Date: Mar 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 34
Karma Power: 238
Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Mike S. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
I think Steelwoman's idea of a letter from the tape mfr. is a great one.

I think a statistical confidence interval is impossible to calculate based on the available data presented, but the odds of 2 tapes failing the same way might be higher if the tapes were the same mfr. and type.

I have no real problem with your plan, JRKH, except for the part of measuring 1/16" with a tape makes me a little leery. I have several brand-name steel tapes where I think being off by 1/16" is very easy to do. What is the tolerance? For these tighter tolerance/small things I might lean toward a steel ruler or, better yet, calipers, but you know the process better than I. JMO.

Mike S. ("Gun Nut")
And they ask me why I drink....
Old 24th November 2003, 12:30 PM
Sachem

Registration Date: Aug 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 101
Karma Power: 138
Icy Mountain is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Icy Mountain is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Icy Mountain is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Icy Mountain is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Icy Mountain is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Icy Mountain is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Icy Mountain is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by JRKH

I know I know. It seems we beat this one to death, but I am trying to put together acceptable verbage to clear a NC from our last audit. We use tape measures for measuring to +/-.06 and up to 8 feet or more. Since most items are checked multiple times during the production cycle using different tapes I do not see a need for a heavy duty recall system for our tapes. The verbage I have come up with is listed below.
I can't believe that +/- 1/16" is a reasonable/required/necessary tolerance on an 8' piece. Is it really? I know it wouldn't matter in our wire looms or harnesses. If you are measuring a steel rod that must fit this tolerance for the next assembly up, I would be investigating hard go-no go fixtures.

Do you have a scrap and rework problem with this kind of piece? If not, I would stick with what you are doing and use the 4 point solution you suggested.

Did you know that facts remain even when you disregard them?
Old 1st December 2003, 01:35 PM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Jul 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 2
Karma Power: 52
Grizz1345 is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.Grizz1345 is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.Grizz1345 is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.
I have our tape measures on a 1 year calibration cycle. The tolerance is 1/32. I too find it seldom that a tape measure lasts more than one cycle. I use a 5' vernier caliper to do the calibrations. I agree this might be overkill but it is what was available when I started to do calibrations here.

Have a great day.
Old 1st December 2003, 02:24 PM
Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Nov 2002

Karma Power: 49
Ken B. has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Our Quality Manual reads as follows,
Due to the type of operations and requirements for the accuracy of measurements, tape measures used in the facility are not required to be calibrated. operator can use any tape measures, however ensure that these tape measures are verified against the Calibrated Master Steel Rule available in the production office periodically or when ever they found visible errors or damage.

We have never had problems with this during audit. Good Luck.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > ISO 17025 and related Metrology Topics - Measurement Devices, Calibration and Test Laboratories

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?