Have a nice Halloween!
Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 7th January 2004, 04:39 PM
E-Mails Invalid or Rejected by Recipient System

Registration Date: Nov 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 0
Gallion has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Supplier Quality Assurance Roles and Responsibilities

Greetings, all.

I'm the manager of a fledgling Supplier Quality Assurance team comprised of two SQE's at the corporate office in Ohio, and an SQE with receiving inspection responsibilities in Mexico. All total, we're six QE's strong with four inspectors.

We're a tier two automotive supplier building electric actuators (motor assemblies). My team is responsible for over two hundred suppliers in a wide range of commodities.

The team was formed early last year, from some members already in place (the two corporate SQE's were hired in March. Roles and responsibilities of the various team members have been defined by me, largely on-the-fly as issues arise.

I'd like to begin the year with more clearly defined roles (written this time). Would anyone like to share with me their thoughts regarding the role of Supplier Quality Assurance? Especially with comparison/contrast between corporate roles and plant roles.

Sponsored Links
Old 8th January 2004, 02:49 AM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: May 2000

Thanks Given to Others: 1,413
Karma Power: 400
Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quid Pro Quo

First of all I'd like to welcome to the Cove . I think I'll leave your question for our U.S. based members.

/Claes

Hanlon's Razor.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
User Groups: Elsmar Cove Cycling Enthusiasts Formula 1 fanatics Photo freaks Readers Corner
Sponsored Links

Old 8th January 2004, 08:28 AM
qualitas ad nauseam

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 6
Karma Power: 115
Rob Nix is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Rob Nix is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Rob Nix is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Rob Nix is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Rob Nix is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Rob Nix is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Rob Nix is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Rob Nix is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Rob Nix is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Rob Nix is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Rob Nix is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Rob Nix is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Rob Nix is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Likewise, welcome to the cove, Gallion.

This may not be much help, but ASQ has this definition:

Quote:
Supplier quality engineer/professional: Responsible for all quality improvement issues related to vendors and suppliers of materials, products or services used in development or manufacture; assesses potential new suppliers; works with suppliers to developer and improve entire supply chain. May be involved in purchasing.
at their site:

http://www.asq.org/career/job/

Also, a google search of "supplier quality engineer" yields a plethora of descriptions.

Rob - The sum of anecdotes is not data. -Roger Brinner
Old 8th January 2004, 09:14 AM

That's helpful.

Thanks, Rob.

The definition is helpful (I suppose I could've come up with that on my own ). I was hoping someone might be able to help with distinguishing roles between SQA at the corporate level vs. SQA at the plant level.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 8th January 2004, 11:07 AM
VINI, VIDI, DORMIVI

Registration Date: Feb 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 20
Karma Power: 170
Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.
Re: Supplier Quality Assurance Roles and Responsibilities

Gallion,

Welcome first of all.
My take would be that the Corporate level individual would be more of a overseer. That is set policy, establish goals, etc. The plant level would be the hands on, troubleshooter. Plant level is where the action is and IMO should be where the problems are solved.
Corporate would be the ones to make sure Program Managers, Purchasing, etc. know what to put on the PO or what to request in an RFQ. The plant level SQA is the individual that works with the suppliers to breakdown any roadblocks and to ensure expectations and requirements are understood and met.
IMO the on-site or plant level SQA is one of the most important positions for developing and maintaining good supplier relations. They need to be negotiators, problem solvers and go getters. No supplier likes to be beaten up by a customer, nor do they like to lose business. With good SQAs problems can be corrected before the bean counters get involved. Plus they are a big help in all APQP processes.

"What this country needs is more unemployed politicians." Edward Langley
Old 8th January 2004, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 696
Karma Power: 240
Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Aptly put Stew. As usual. This is the reason we miss you when you're not around!!

First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
Old 8th January 2004, 11:40 AM

Excellent insight, Stew. Thanks for your input.

Here's how I think its beginning to shake-out for our organization:

Corporate SQA: Supplier Evaluation and Approval, Supplier APQP, Process Sign Off, performance data evaluation, Level 2 Containment administration, Corrective Action verification at supplier's premises.

Plant SQA: PPAP approval, Receiving Inspection, performance data gathering and reporting, Corrective Action request and final approval.

Your comments sort of confirm my thoughts thus far.
Old 8th January 2004, 01:33 PM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Feb 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 80
Karma Power: 223
D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to D.Scott

Gallion, Welcome to the Cove. I have always felt one of the most important functions of the SQA is to communicate with the supplier. This not only includes the items already outlined but also feedback on continuing performance. I hate when our salesman comes back with some problem from the plant that we were never made aware of only to have us call the SQA to get some facts and have him say "Yeah, we've been having that problem for a while now". Even when it isn't our fault, I would like the SQA to communicate ANY problem that involves out product/component. Who knows, we might be able to head off a major problem down the line. I didn't mention it but I am referring to the plant SQA.

Again, welcome.

Dave

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?