The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > ISO 17025 and related Metrology Topics - Measurement Devices, Calibration and Test Laboratories
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
measurement (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 5th April 2004, 02:06 PM
Quality Manager

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 517
Thanked 3,011 Times in 1,941 Posts
Karma Power: 1179
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Let's be fair, atetsade. Just because "the guys in the shop" say it, doesn't make it acceptable in "Quality speak."

I venture to say that if I walked into any shop in America (and I've been in quite a few), everyone would understand me when I say,
"The tolerance on this dimension is plus or minus five ten-thousandths of an inch."
Whereas, if I said,
"The tolerance on this dimension is plus or minus five tenths."
There would be lots of opportunity for confusion or error in many of those same shops.

"Few minds wear out; more rust out"
Inscribed over the entrance of Louis Pasteur School, Chicago
Christian Nestell Bovee (1820-1904) in Thoughts, Feelings and Fancies, 1857

Sponsored Links
Old 5th April 2004, 03:40 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Feb 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 1
Karma Power: 67
cncmarine is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.cncmarine is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.
In the manfacturing world the average employee would understand the second quote. (.0005 = five tenths)Its not right but its true.
Sponsored Links

Old 5th April 2004, 04:50 PM
Quality Manager

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 517
Thanked 3,011 Times in 1,941 Posts
Karma Power: 1179
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by cncmarine

In the manfacturing world the average employee would understand the second quote. (.0005 = five tenths)Its not right but its true
My point was NOT whether the "average" employee would intuit what I meant.
  1. What if I spoke with a heavy foreign accent?
  2. What if the guy in the shop was a literal-minded person who spoke English (American English) as a second (or third) language? (I see lots of those every month.)
  3. What if I were just a "mush mouth?"
The point was (contrary to Poka Yoke, "mistake proofing," FMEA, etc.), I would have been introducing an unnecessary opportunity for error.

The original question referred to a person speaking English who had his previous experience in French. If we muck up the answer with all the sloppy usage and just plain wrong usage which abounds, we are contravening the concept of Quality. Odds are 50/50 the French speaker will not be working in inch-pound system, anyway. I'm not aware of anyone credible who would refer to 0.0001 meters as a "tenth!"

"Few minds wear out; more rust out"
Inscribed over the entrance of Louis Pasteur School, Chicago
Christian Nestell Bovee (1820-1904) in Thoughts, Feelings and Fancies, 1857
Old 5th April 2004, 09:39 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jan 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 60
Karma Power: 101
apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.
the reason I wrote what I wrote is because many before me had stated the proper terms for diminishing increments. I thought it noteworthy to explain the other way to communicate dimensions.

The confusion for me was great when I started. I rejected the jargon terms at first until I realized the historical terms reduced the measuring into two worlds--the world of the manufacturer and the world of the metrologist. facilitates thinking, estimation, work.

I agree that it's certainly more difficult to communicate clearly when using jargon. that's why I told the man about the jargon, so he would understand what people around him are saying.

After all, it is simply just another way to say the same thing. Whether it's temperature, weight, time, angle, or distance.
Old 5th April 2004, 10:00 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jan 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 60
Karma Power: 101
apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.apestate is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.
Wes:

I just want to say that I have great respect for your professionalism and wisdom in management. I am always impressed with your knowledge, and I take your suggestions very seriously.

However wrong and unnecessarily tricky it may be, I still prefer the use of tenths. When speaking of millimeters or to managers I express dimensions in the proper terminology, of course, but when it comes to inches and parts I must defer to my fathers.
Old 6th April 2004, 09:49 PM
Email Address Invalid or Rejected by Recipient System

Registration Date: Apr 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 0
LabManZulu - 2004 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Didn't think my little question was going to bring up this big debate...

...Thanx for the welcome raffy & Wes...

Now do you understand my confusion? ... I'm use to work with nano & pico....and now i see that there's a lingo for the "shop" and the "QM" dude!

Ah...well, i'll read and learn from all of ya.... thanx for all your good input!
Old 7th April 2004, 11:40 AM
Email Address Invalid or Rejected by Recipient System

Registration Date: Mar 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 0
CalGuy - 2004 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Well talking the decimal language can get confusing. I have always used this way.

0.1 = tenth on an inch
0.01= hundreth of an inch
0.001= thousandth of an inch
0.0001= one hundred microinches
0.00001= ten microinches
0.000001= one microinch
0.0000001= point one microinch

or

25.4mm = one inch
25.40mm = one inch
25.400mm = one inch
Old 7th April 2004, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 695
Karma Power: 239
Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by atetsade

...I will tell you how these inch increments are said in a shop.

.1 = one hundred thousandths
.01 = ten thousandths
.001 = one thousandth
.0001 = tenth

...however, it is much more common to speak of the increments using the two currencies of thousandth and millionth...
Yep, that's the common "shop talk" way. I've never worked in an environment where they say tenth for .1 or hundredth for .01. We talk in thousandths, so no one is ever confused when we say tenth meaning tenth of a thousandth (.0001) or half a thou (.0005)

First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > ISO 17025 and related Metrology Topics - Measurement Devices, Calibration and Test Laboratories

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?