The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Six Sigma
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 17th May 2004, 01:36 PM
Quality Team

Registration Date: Jun 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 138
Karma Power: 213
ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes, isn't this similar to the famous "Hawthorne" effect regarding the employees placed in a room with better lighting, and supervisors evaluating the effect only to find it was the supervisor attention that improved the productivity, and not the new lights.

"Nothing is constant except change"

Sponsored Links
Old 17th May 2004, 01:40 PM
Quality Manager

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 503
Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,901 Posts
Karma Power: 1167
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
"By Jove, I think he's got it!"

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ralphsulser

Wes, isn't this similar to the famous "Hawthorne" effect regarding the employees placed in a room with better lighting, and supervisors evaluating the effect only to find it was the supervisor attention that improved the productivity, and not the new lights.
As Rex Harrison sings in My Fair Lady (paraphrased for gender accuracy):

Are you ready to be one of my new adherents, Ralph?

"Few minds wear out; more rust out"
Inscribed over the entrance of Louis Pasteur School, Chicago
Christian Nestell Bovee (1820-1904) in Thoughts, Feelings and Fancies, 1857
Sponsored Links

Old 17th May 2004, 02:27 PM
Quality Team

Registration Date: Jun 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 138
Karma Power: 213
ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Wes Bucey

As Rex Harrison sings in My Fair Lady (paraphrased for gender accuracy):

Are you ready to be one of my new adherents, Ralph?
Yes Wes, or is that coherent?

"Nothing is constant except change"
Old 17th May 2004, 02:42 PM
Quality Manager

Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Just send money

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ralphsulser

Yes Wes, or is that coherent?
As soon as your check for $1,500.00 USD clears, I will be sending you a gilt-edged Certificate of Achievement to all the theories and principles of The Placebo Effect school of Quality.

(Note this is an introductory offer. Get in on the ground floor before prices go up!)

Old 17th May 2004, 02:55 PM
Deming Disciple

Registration Date: Feb 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 189
Thanked 1,296 Times in 710 Posts
Karma Power: 293
Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
I have posted my anti-six-sigma diatrabes elsewhere in the Cove, but I thought this would make a humorous story. I received a phone call from a vendor of project management software. He picked up my name in conjunction with some Baldrige site, and stated his company made software used by many six sigma corporations, and he listed a few. I stated, that is no selling point for me, I am anti six sigma. He went on, and again referenced six sigma. I again said, you are not impressing me. So he actually asked me what I had against six sigma, of which I gave him my usual list. I also said if someone showed up trying to sell six sigma software to my employer I would be the first person at the front door with a shotgun. He finally realized he wasn't getting anywhere with his sales pitch.

Steve Prevette
"A Passionate Statistician", ASQ CQE, ASQ Fellow
Old 17th May 2004, 03:25 PM
Quality Champion

Registration Date: Mar 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 19
Karma Power: 119
Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bill Pflanz is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes, I have been thinking about writing some How to books and developing some training classes on getting certified to your new Placebo Effect theory of quality. Could you please email the body of knowledge for the theory? Also, in the spirit of entrepreneurship, could you write a foreward for my book to give it some credibility?

Bill Pflanz
Old 17th May 2004, 08:48 PM
Quality Manager

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Bill Pflanz

Wes, I have been thinking about writing some How to books and developing some training classes on getting certified to your new Placebo Effect theory of quality. Could you please email the body of knowledge for the theory? Also, in the spirit of entrepreneurship, could you write a foreward for my book to give it some credibility?

Bill Pflanz
Absolutely!
Close your eyes.
What do you see?
That's the body of knowledge.
The primary requirement for registration/certification to TPE (the official abbreviation for The Placebo Effect) is to make me and my current followers happy. This can be easily accomplished by sending lots of money, which we will spend on marketing to gain more adherents. Our primary marketing strategy is to play Cardinal Puff with a prospect until we "melt" all resistance.

Old 18th May 2004, 09:02 AM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Nov 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 46
KMAAA is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.KMAAA is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.KMAAA is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.
content

From a 6S bent I was actually looking for some content in practical, workable alternatives. For the sake of defining 'workable' we can omit some of the traditional approaches that, for whatever reason, are not seeing the light of day from the adoption standpoint.

If the posts just above is what's available, then here's a club that will go well with future diatribes:

http://www.cheesemonthclub.com/

Surely you guys are better than this.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Six Sigma

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?