The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
font, free, gd&t (geometric dimensioning & tolerancing), microsoft word .doc file, microsoft excel .xls .xlsx spreadsheet

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 8th January 2010, 06:12 PM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Jan 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 1
Karma Power: 31
mikih has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: Free GD&T font for Word and Excel

Hi

Give FreeGDT a try.

Its a font I've created along with a tool to create the tolerance calls. It also includes some drawing symbols. You can create tolerance calls either with or without control frames. Even better it free.

The forum will not let me post a link directly but go to ***DEAD LINK REMOVED***

Thanks
Mick

Last edited by Marc; 26th October 2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Dead link removed
Thank You to mikih for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
Old 8th January 2010, 07:08 PM
Consultant / Auditor

Registration Date: Feb 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1,399
Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,155 Posts
Karma Power: 409
JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by mikih View Post

The forum will not let me post a link directly
There are restrictions on posting links for new users only - once you have posted 5 times, it will.
The restrictoins is to stop spammers and unscrupulous people from appearing once, and only to flog their own products/self-promotion.

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. - Virginia Woolf
Thanks to JaneB for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 12th January 2010, 03:04 PM

Registration Date: Jan 2010

Karma Power: 19
ClaudS has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Re: Free GD&T font for Word and Excel

I am creating a Dimensional Inspection Report using Excel.
I have downloaded the file to my Document folder.
I need to create a Tool Bar in Excel so that I can use the symbols in my report.
Can someone give step by step instructions on how to do this.
Thanks
Old 13th January 2010, 11:09 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,050
Thanked 5,977 Times in 3,811 Posts
Karma Power: 1529
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Welcome to the Cove.

I'm not sure which of several files in this thread you downloaded, but since they're all fonts it probably doesn't matter. Before you do anything, you have to install the font. These instructions are based on Windows XP; I think it's probably the same in whatever version you're using, though:
  1. Navigate to C:\Windows\Fonts. If your system drive is something other than C:, change the "C" accordingly.
  2. Click on "File" at the top of the page, and then "Install New Font..."
  3. In the dialog box, find the font file. You said you saved it in My Documents, so it would be C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents, where username is your Windows user name.
  4. Click "OK" and the font will be installed. You might need to reboot in order for your programs to be able to "see" the new font.
As far as using some form of toolbar in Excel, I don't think it's possible. Using any symbol font is a bit clumsy. I don't have access to Excel at the moment, but if I recall correctly there is no Insert>>Symbol facility as there is in Word. You might be stuck with using Windows Character Map, which is accessed by: Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>Character Map. When you open Character Map, look for he GD&T font in the list, and you'll see something like:

From there, it's a rather tedious process of copying and pasting the desired characters into your document. Select the character you want, click "Select" and then "Copy." The character will be copied to the clipboard from whence it may be pasted into the document. Repeat until you've built the feature control frame you want. The attachment shows what a completed feature control frame looks like.

If anyone here knows of a simpler method, by all means chime in.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf GDT.pdf (9.7 KB, 260 views)

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Thanks to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 14th January 2010, 06:31 PM

Registration Date: Jan 2007

Karma Power: 31
mikih has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ClaudS View Post

I am creating a Dimensional Inspection Report using Excel.
I have downloaded the file to my Document folder.
I need to create a Tool Bar in Excel so that I can use the symbols in my report.
Can someone give step by step instructions on how to do this.
Thanks
Hi thankyou for the thanks on my post . There is a Getting started document available from the website.

I've attached a copy of it here along with the font (if it lets me upload them)

FREE_GDT_EN.zip
Getting Started.pdf
Thank You to mikih for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 20th January 2010, 04:28 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Mar 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 40
Micronus has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by JaxQC View Post

Thanks Sorin, the Y14 font is the that Ive ended up using for now. The problem is that most of the ones out there appear to have been made with a specific customer in mind. This one is lacking a couple items that my commodity uses.

Lacking symbols for
  • Surface finish / texture (elongated square root symbol)
  • Co-sink (v)
  • Depth (horizontal line with down arrow) This one had it but others I looked at do not.
  • Machined surface (closed checkmark)
  • Between designation (double end arrow)
  • CenterLine / symmetrical @ cntr line (capital C overlaid on capital L)
  • JIS type texture callouts (upside down triangles, 1 thru 4)
  • The ability to properly show Stacked GD&T criteria
Itll do for the time being and if nothing else to show the IT guys that this kind of stuff is indeed already out there rather than having to re-invent the wheel.
I am currently creating the new ASME Y14.5-2009 version of this font. Along with the 2009 updates, it will include upper / lower case with the addition of surface finish (JIS and US), some welding and some other metrology related symbols plus composite and stacked feature control frames. Again it will be free public domain for both commercial and personal use. Unfortunately, it will not be backwards compatible with the Y14.4M font.

Please post requests for any other symbols that you would like included and I will endeavor to add them before releasing the completed font

Once the font is complete, I will post it here and on http://www.fontspace.com with instructions. The Y14.5M-1994 version of the font is here for anyone who wants it: http://www.fontspace.com/micronus/y145m

Micronus
-OO-
Thanks to Micronus for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 15th February 2010, 09:47 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Mar 2005

Karma Power: 40
Micronus has less than 100 Karma points so far.

The font and a control program for creating composite and stacked feature control frames:

is attached in this post as well.

As usual the attached fonts and control program are Public Domain and copying and redistribution is encouraged.

-OO-
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf FontTable.pdf (83.6 KB, 222 views)
File Type: zip Y14.5M-2009-Font.zip (427.2 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by Marc; 26th October 2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Dead link removed.
Thank You to Micronus for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 7th May 2010, 12:55 AM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Mar 2010

Karma Power: 18
paliach has less than 100 Karma points so far.

just a heads up, i know this is an old thread, but the "FCF Generator" does not spit out the diametric symbols correctly if you click the check box in the Feature Control Frames tab.... anyone have a newer version that fixes this glitch? thanks!

Diameter symbol does not show up

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?