The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Documentation Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
preventive maintenance, procedures (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 16th June 2004, 12:49 PM

Registration Date: Jun 1999

Thanks Given to Others: 48
Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,657 Posts
Karma Power: 925
Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to Randy
Please Help! Preventive and Corrective Maintenance - Looking for a basic procedure

I've bit off so much I am now starting to choke......

Does anyone have a generic (or one that can be changed) preventive maintenance procedure for production support equipment like banding machines, pallet jacks, material dollies, floor fans, and all that kind of stuff?

What I'm looking for is a basic procedure outlining how communication of maintenance needs can be handled, any supporting forms and so on, and the actual maintenance process itself.

I've stepped into a situation where there is no defined way to address how to tell the appropriate party that something is broke that has to be fixed.

We who have seen war, will never stop seeing it. In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams. Joe Galloway

Sponsored Links
Old 16th June 2004, 01:24 PM
Quality Team

Registration Date: Jun 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 138
Karma Power: 214
ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Randy,
I'll attach some forms we use, may help
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: xls COOLING TOWER WATER PUMP PM-411.xls (21.0 KB, 549 views)
File Type: xls MT-SD-001 PM SCHEDULE 2004.xls (18.5 KB, 690 views)
File Type: xls HOIST PM-413.xls (26.0 KB, 471 views)

"Nothing is constant except change"
Thank You to ralphsulser for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 16th June 2004, 01:56 PM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Apr 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 26
Karma Power: 107
Douglas E. Purdy has disabled his/her Karma.
A General Flow

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Randy

Does anyone have a generic (or one that can be changed) preventive maintenance procedure for production support equipment like banding machines, pallet jacks, material dollies, floor fans, and all that kind of stuff?

What I'm looking for is a basic procedure outlining how communication of maintenance needs can be handled, any supporting forms and so on, and the actual maintenance process itself.

I've stepped into a situation where there is no defined way to address how to tell the appropriate party that something is broke that has to be fixed.
Randy,

Here are two general flows for a process that did not have a Computerized Work Order & Scheduling System. If you want examples of forms, let me know. Hope this helps.

Doug
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: vsd A Maintenance Flow pg1.vsd (113.5 KB, 1637 views)
File Type: vsd Infrastructure PM pg1.vsd (98.0 KB, 706 views)
Thank You to Douglas E. Purdy for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 16th June 2004, 03:03 PM
Quality Manager

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 517
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,945 Posts
Karma Power: 1179
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:

Take a look at the kinds of things that Google finds when you enter:
"pallet jack" +maintenance
"fork truck" +safety

Also look at manufacturer websites to see what they offer in the way of handouts, procedures, checklists, etc.

Once you have some of these in hand, you might consider a top level safety procedure which says (even in flow chart form):
We want our operators to be safe when they operate any of the equipment in our plant. The best way to insure your safety is to know
  1. how to operate your equipment,
  2. how to check to ensure it is in proper condition for operation, and
  3. how to perform simple preventive maintenance procedures to keep it in safe running condition.
  4. what to do when the equipment needs repair
Then issue a checklist (laminated cover?) specific to the equipment that stays with each piece of equipment, similar to what pilots do prior to takeoff.

"Few minds wear out; more rust out"
Inscribed over the entrance of Louis Pasteur School, Chicago
Christian Nestell Bovee (1820-1904) in Thoughts, Feelings and Fancies, 1857
Old 16th June 2004, 03:41 PM

Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Thanks so much...

What I ran across was a small piece of equipment that is used on a continual basis to help band material for shipment. The bander looks like a material dolly (2 wheels, a handle and all that), and 1 of the wheels was missing causing the employees to drag it from place to place. When I asked a supervisor why this thing hadn't been fixed (3-4 month old problem) I got the old "I told everyone so it's not my problem/responsibility" routine. Apparently there is no organized (formalized) process for requesting basic and performing maintenance/repair on infrastructure and support equipment (catch as catch can maintenance). No documents, no procedures, no records, NADA!

How to fix an item isn't the issue....how to get it fixed and to prove that we did so is.

We who have seen war, will never stop seeing it. In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams. Joe Galloway
Old 16th June 2004, 07:29 PM
Quality Manager

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 517
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,945 Posts
Karma Power: 1179
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:

Thanks so much...

What I ran across was a small piece of equipment that is used on a continual basis to help band material for shipment. The bander looks like a material dolly (2 wheels, a handle and all that), and 1 of the wheels was missing causing the employees to drag it from place to place. When I asked a supervisor why this thing hadn't been fixed (3-4 month old problem) I got the old "I told everyone so it's not my problem/responsibility" routine. Apparently there is no organized (formalized) process for requesting basic and performing maintenance/repair on infrastructure and support equipment (catch as catch can maintenance). No documents, no procedures, no records, NADA!

How to fix an item isn't the issue....how to get it fixed and to prove that we did so is.
If the strapping (the preferred term over "banding") is steel - odds are the machine came from Signode or Uline - both companies have excellent PR for stuff like you need.

Google search would probably be (strapping + steel) or (strapping +plastic) using "strapping" will eliminate the hits for those steel bands that play island music.

"Few minds wear out; more rust out"
Inscribed over the entrance of Louis Pasteur School, Chicago
Christian Nestell Bovee (1820-1904) in Thoughts, Feelings and Fancies, 1857
Old 16th June 2004, 11:06 PM

The strapping isn't a problem and the equipment isn't a problem, getting the stupid thing on 2 wheels is the issue....I found a dozen replacement wheels in less than 15 minutes at a Home Depot and another 6 or so at a nearby Ace Hardware....the issue is a guidance document that says "when junk breaks, here's what you must do to get it fixed"...

I was hoping someone had a down and dirty, basic procedure.

Old 17th June 2004, 09:46 AM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Aug 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 14
Karma Power: 79
C Emmons is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.C Emmons is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.C Emmons is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.C Emmons is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.
Quote:

The strapping isn't a problem and the equipment isn't a problem, getting the stupid thing on 2 wheels is the issue....I found a dozen replacement wheels in less than 15 minutes at a Home Depot and another 6 or so at a nearby Ace Hardware....the issue is a guidance document that says "when junk breaks, here's what you must do to get it fixed"...

I was hoping someone had a down and dirty, basic procedure.
I dont know if this is the type of information you are looking for, but. If we have equipment needing repair, anyone has the ability to place an out of service tag, write it up (usually we use a standard vehicle inspection report for tractors, trailers, forklifts etc. Once the equipment is tagged out of service it is placed in a designated area and the report sent to mainteance. If we consistently end up with lots of equipment needing repair and it is impacting peoples ability to do their jobs, a formal corrective action is issued to managment.
Thanks to C Emmons for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Documentation Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?