I am looking for interesting opportunities to add "before and after" case studies for a book (as yet untitled)
I am in the beginning throes of writing.
Thus said, I want to offer my services to Organizations (profit or nonprofit) as a short-term "Strategy Advisor
" not strictly limited to "Quality" function, but to the organization as an "organic whole."
I would offer a substantial discount in normal fees charged by an advisor of my experience and ability in return for the rights to use the "before and after" case studies in my book -
In Reply to Parent Post by Wes Bucey
My entire career has been centered on the concept ‘Quality should be involved in every aspect of a company - including executive planning, administration, marketing, purchasing, design, production, shipping, and service.’
This concept holds true whether the company is a manufacturer or service company (banking, insurance, communications, transportation, construction, janitorial, etc.) The major emphasis is on pleasing or delighting the customer while maintaining or increasing organizational profitability. (In the case of non-profits, does the organization's performance delight both recipients and the contributors? If so, the organization will continue to thrive.)
if necessary, we will disguise identity for publication, but publisher will have to know the case is real, not a figment of my imagination.
Published authors among you know that publishers are relatively stingy with "front money" for books in our field, so I do have to charge something.
Although I am primarily seeking "interesting" situations which will make for reader appeal, I will need some "standard" situations to balance the book.
I have my own corporation and "benefits" so this will be a straight "organization to corporation" contract, no 1099s or other tax stumbling blocks.
Since my experience over the last 40 years covers everything from
- investment banking (financing industrial plants)
- nursing homes (dealing with regulations, financing)
- manufacturing operations (startups, government regulations, takeovers)
- FDA-regulated and FAA-regulated organizations,
there will be many situations to which I can add value.
Here are some "should have" criteria for the target organizations:
- I deal with chief executive and/or Board of Directors directly and interact with any or all staff as necessary
- organization should be in self-perceived "crisis" due to pressure from time, regulators, or customers
- I don't do work by myself, but will "mentor and advise" existing staff to do it so they can continue when I am gone (for example, I don't "perform" Gap Analysis by myself, but will help personnel learn how to do it themselves, keyed to the organization's circumstances, and will review and suggest modifications as required)
- There is no minimum term for the assignment - some issues could be resolved in as little as one or two days, but still be important to the organization and pertinent for my book.
- the maximum term might be as long as a year, but would involve my full time presence for only a fraction of the time to help personnel learn to do a task, returning from time to time for evaluation and suggestions for improvement
- organization may be any size, from small business to transnational giant.
Some of the perceived "crisis" situations might be, but are not limited to:
Above all, I want to leave the organization in better shape than I found it.
- seeking registration to a Standard due to outside pressure
- "re-engineering" an organization which needs major Kaizen events to become competitive in its market
- "assimilating" a recent takeover of an organization with a different culture
- "fairness opinions" when selling an organization or creating an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) or Initial Public Offering (IPO)
- Complying with Sarbannes-Oxley Act for public corporations
- new product introduction (production and marketing)
- achieving government certification in a regulated industry
- negotiating with aggressive customers
- negotiating with banks, financiers, equity investors
- adopting and assimilating new technologies (such as Electronic Document Management or Customer Relationship Management)
Fees will be negotiated in each instance. There is no guarantee I will take any assignment, but if I refuse one, I will make a suggestion for other sources of help. I will not charge for such a suggestion, but the source may charge for its services.
So, fellow Covers, if you learn of an interesting situation, suggest my name. I have a passport and can travel anywhere allowed by the US State Department. Since the contract will run from the organization to my corporation (in existence since 1973)
, there should be no employment barriers from governments.
Please contact me through my profile "contact info" tab.