The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 10019 - Consultants and Consulting
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2004, 08:56 PM
Quality Manager

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 502
Thanked 2,931 Times in 1,899 Posts
Karma Power: 1166
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Read This! Wes Bucey offers service as "Strategy Advisor" - Seeking Case Studies for Book

I am looking for interesting opportunities to add "before and after" case studies for a book (as yet untitled) I am in the beginning throes of writing.

Thus said, I want to offer my services to Organizations (profit or nonprofit) as a short-term "Strategy Advisor" not strictly limited to "Quality" function, but to the organization as an "organic whole."
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Wes Bucey

My entire career has been centered on the concept ‘Quality should be involved in every aspect of a company - including executive planning, administration, marketing, purchasing, design, production, shipping, and service.’

This concept holds true whether the company is a manufacturer or service company (banking, insurance, communications, transportation, construction, janitorial, etc.) The major emphasis is on pleasing or delighting the customer while maintaining or increasing organizational profitability. (In the case of non-profits, does the organization's performance delight both recipients and the contributors? If so, the organization will continue to thrive.)
I would offer a substantial discount in normal fees charged by an advisor of my experience and ability in return for the rights to use the "before and after" case studies in my book - if necessary, we will disguise identity for publication, but publisher will have to know the case is real, not a figment of my imagination.

Published authors among you know that publishers are relatively stingy with "front money" for books in our field, so I do have to charge something.

Although I am primarily seeking "interesting" situations which will make for reader appeal, I will need some "standard" situations to balance the book.

I have my own corporation and "benefits" so this will be a straight "organization to corporation" contract, no 1099s or other tax stumbling blocks.

Since my experience over the last 40 years covers everything from
  • investment banking (financing industrial plants)
  • nursing homes (dealing with regulations, financing)
  • manufacturing operations (startups, government regulations, takeovers)
  • FDA-regulated and FAA-regulated organizations,
there will be many situations to which I can add value.

Here are some "should have" criteria for the target organizations:
  • I deal with chief executive and/or Board of Directors directly and interact with any or all staff as necessary
  • organization should be in self-perceived "crisis" due to pressure from time, regulators, or customers
  • I don't do work by myself, but will "mentor and advise" existing staff to do it so they can continue when I am gone (for example, I don't "perform" Gap Analysis by myself, but will help personnel learn how to do it themselves, keyed to the organization's circumstances, and will review and suggest modifications as required)
  • There is no minimum term for the assignment - some issues could be resolved in as little as one or two days, but still be important to the organization and pertinent for my book.
  • the maximum term might be as long as a year, but would involve my full time presence for only a fraction of the time to help personnel learn to do a task, returning from time to time for evaluation and suggestions for improvement
  • organization may be any size, from small business to transnational giant.
Some of the perceived "crisis" situations might be, but are not limited to:
  • seeking registration to a Standard due to outside pressure
  • "re-engineering" an organization which needs major Kaizen events to become competitive in its market
  • "assimilating" a recent takeover of an organization with a different culture
  • "fairness opinions" when selling an organization or creating an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) or Initial Public Offering (IPO)
  • Complying with Sarbannes-Oxley Act for public corporations
  • new product introduction (production and marketing)
  • achieving government certification in a regulated industry
  • negotiating with aggressive customers
  • negotiating with banks, financiers, equity investors
  • adopting and assimilating new technologies (such as Electronic Document Management or Customer Relationship Management)
Above all, I want to leave the organization in better shape than I found it. Fees will be negotiated in each instance. There is no guarantee I will take any assignment, but if I refuse one, I will make a suggestion for other sources of help. I will not charge for such a suggestion, but the source may charge for its services.

So, fellow Covers, if you learn of an interesting situation, suggest my name. I have a passport and can travel anywhere allowed by the US State Department. Since the contract will run from the organization to my corporation (in existence since 1973), there should be no employment barriers from governments.

Please contact me through my profile "contact info" tab.

"Few minds wear out; more rust out"
Inscribed over the entrance of Louis Pasteur School, Chicago
Christian Nestell Bovee (1820-1904) in Thoughts, Feelings and Fancies, 1857

Last edited by howste; 27th August 2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: By request to change contact information.

Sponsored Links
Old 2nd August 2004, 08:59 PM
Southern Gentleman

Registration Date: Jul 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 147
Karma Power: 95
ccochran is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ccochran is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes,

I bet any book you write would be a very good one. Keep us posted on your progress. I'm looking forward to it.

Craig

Craig Cochran
Georgia Institute of Technology
Sponsored Links

Old 2nd August 2004, 09:03 PM
Quality Manager

Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ccochran

Wes,

I bet any book you write would be a very good one. Keep us posted on your progress. I'm looking forward to it.

Craig
Does it sound "hokey" that I'm more interested in helping the organizations than writing the book? The book is just "documentation."

Old 2nd August 2004, 09:08 PM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 8,817
Thanked 5,012 Times in 3,181 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
I Say...

You can also contact Wes by clicking on his name in any post he makes and going to his profile. You can send him an e-mail from there as well. Or - You can send Wes a PM (Personal Message) through the forums software.

I mention this only to remind all Registered Users of these Elsmar Cove Forums options.

If you send an e-mail through the User Profile it is a 'blind' e-mail - no e-mail address is revealed, except the senders e-mail address is seen by the person who receives the e-mail.

Aggressive 'bots' are smart enough to look at wesbuceyATsbcglobalDOTnet, for example, and translate it appropriately. If you REALLY don't want your e-mail address spidered (these forums can be read by anyone and any 'bot'), use the embedded 'Profile' system.
Old 2nd August 2004, 09:28 PM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
I Say...

Quote:

Does it sound "hokey" that I'm more interested in helping the organizations than writing the book? The book is just "documentation."
I don't think he meant that it sounds "hokey". I do the same things from time to time. You sit back and look at what you want to do and make a scenario.

A person from a large credit reporting company called last week. Asked about purchasing some files - implementation and such. I said to the gal I was speaking with "Hey - for the name I'll drive to Chicago, talk to you (base evaluation) for free and if you're interested you pay expenses and allow me to use the name and I'll do work for cost." Haven't heard back yet, but I hope I do. I'd like to do it to understand how they operate so that I can apply it to other service organizations.

We each have our motivations. That said, we would like you to keep us posted on progress so we can learn from you!

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown

Last edited by Marc; 2nd August 2004 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Revised content.
Old 2nd August 2004, 09:32 PM
Quality Manager

If you do drive up, give me a call and we'll split a cork (phone details in separate email to you.)

Old 2nd August 2004, 09:43 PM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

I Say...

If I get a call I will. But I'm not expecting one.

It was a gal who was looking for information and I have no idea what 'power level' she is at - but the point is it's a service organization and it's big. I've had some big clients, but then again... You never know. My experience has been such that I never expect a return call and even if I go and do a 'freebie' evaluation and discussion I don't expect a contract. I do look at myself as somewhat 'radical' which I think some companies have a problem with.

But - I've really enjoyed working with companies of all sizes. I don't work a lot any more, but typically I'm choosy enough any more that when I get involved with a company it's fun and rewarding.

I'll bet you - like many of us 'Bad Boy' consultants - have turned down companies. And probably 'quit' a few as well.
Old 2nd August 2004, 09:53 PM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Quote:

(phone details in separate email to you.)
Just send in a PM.

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 10019 - Consultants and Consulting

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?