Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Is a Weld Destruct Test Effective - Have any of you ever used this test?

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
bend test, destructive tests and testing, testing (general testing topics), welding

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 25th August 2004, 09:39 AM
gpainter

Total Posts: 1,112
Question Is a Weld Destruct Test Effective - Have any of you ever used this test?

Have any of you ever used this test and is it an effective test to determine weld strength. Any links to info on weld test is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 25th August 2004, 10:44 AM
Marc

Total Posts: 24,565
I've seen different types of weld destruct from simply using a pair of pliars to try to pull a weld apart to using a tensile strength apparatus to measure the force at which the weld separates (e.g.: good weld - sheet metal - metal around weld 'tears').

Can you give us some more details of the weld destruct test you're using - And the intent?
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 25th August 2004, 11:54 AM
CarolX

Total Posts: 2,170
Yes..more info would help. What type of weld? RSW, MIG, TIG. I may be able to dig up some info for you if you can provide more details.
  Post Number #4  
Old 25th August 2004, 11:57 AM
Marc

Total Posts: 24,565
I just remembered another 'weld test' I've seen - The Chisel Test. Pass / Fail, all the person did was see if a 'good whack' with a hammer on a chisel at the weld point would break the weld. There wasn't even a 'spec' on what size hammer or chisel to use!

I guess I would ask where the test is defined. Usually it's on the print if there is one. Then I would look at it and see what it calls out.

I have seen a lot of 'idiot' weld tests come out of a nonconformance issue where a test was cobbled together just so they had 'something'.
  Post Number #5  
Old 25th August 2004, 12:22 PM
Jim Howe

Total Posts: 415
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by gpainter

Have any of you ever used this test and is it an effective test to determine weld strength. Any links to info on weld test is appreciated.
My limited experience in welding tells me that details of accepted destructive weld test and deposited filler metals can be found through the AWS (American Welding Society).
I believe it is AWS B4.0-77. I do not have a copy, sorry!
Basically destructive test are performed on sample weldments made with procedures that will be used in the production of the weldments. They are conducted for the qualification of welding procedures and consist of chemical, metallographic and mechanical test or a combination of all three.
AWS probably has a web site that will be more informative. Also there are several great books in your library that contain a wealth of background info. If all else fails call Lincoln Electric or visit their web site for more info.
Hope this gives you some direction.
  Post Number #6  
Old 25th August 2004, 12:35 PM
AllanJ

Total Posts: 311
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by gpainter

There is no single test for determining weld strength. It depends on what aspect of "strength" is of interest. Destructive testing takes place on a "coupon" which is subjected to different individual tests. The ASME codes (3 and 8) used to give details of various tests, as I recall for pressure vessels. For other applications of welding, look at the applicable code, e.g. for construction.

Otherwise, try one of the weld societies or manufacturers of welding rods. And Lincoln does have a fine reputation.

Finally, if your product is being tested for an export market, it is worth checking the national or international standards that will apply as well as the compatibility of materials standards (American vs other nationals, e.g. British, German whatever.)

If you do not have the in-house facilities, look for a certified laboratory or independent weld testing service. They will be sure to have the necessary standards, equipment and so forth.

Hope that helps.
  Post Number #7  
Old 25th August 2004, 01:58 PM
gpainter

Total Posts: 1,112
The test our supplier is using is based on pass/fail as to whether it pulls parent material. mig, 20-21 volts, 150-160 amps, 20-25 flow rate, c-25 shielding gas type, .030 wire diameter, el705-3 wire type. if i read their instructions correctly.

Last edited by gpainter; 26th August 2004 at 09:15 AM.
  Post Number #8  
Old 25th August 2004, 01:59 PM
cncmarine

Total Posts: 245
First thing you need to do is find a Level 3 in your area.

Tell the Level 3 to write your WPS and PQR. Those documents will have all the detailed infomation needed for testing.

Before doing destructive testing do some NDT. MPT,LPT, and UT (combo of) will require even if its worth having the destructive testing done.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?