Advice for becoming an ISO9001 Lead Auditor

Randy

Super Moderator
Thanks, Randy.. just so you know, you were instrumental in my getting interested in the auditing world after I attended a 14001 Internal auditor training session conducted by you in Rhode Island a few years ago. As I sit down during this "career transition" phase, I will research the posts on this site and see if this is a path that would work for me.
Thanks again
Arun

Oh Good Lord, don't listen to me, I'm old and cranky as you found out.

Like I said and a couple others did, it's a pretty tough field to break into, it can be fun but it can really be demanding with your time and lifestyle if you're not careful.

Here's the deal are you looking for the whole kit-n-caboodle or are you looking at contract work? Trending historically teeter-totters back and forth but one thing is constant, auditor flexibility and those that have the ability and credentials to bounce between multiple standards and multiple business sectors will always fare better than those that can't.

Somebody mentioned BSI earlier about having contacted them and getting no return, well that can be true of other CB's as well, many times within an organization the left hand is not or will not talk to the right hand and this may be the case.

In my case I have been extremely fortunate, I left full time staffing last July and haven't missed a beat when it comes to delivering audits for my former employer and I have been contacted by other CB's in the meantime but to avoid possible conflicts in schedules I've opted to stay put with the one CB I presently contract to, in essence I have been turning down work and work = money. That being said, I'm very fortunate because I'm a known entity, I have a broad range of industries I can serve and the standards I can currently deliver cannot presently be surpassed by any person presently on staff....This is the type of obstacle that a new person or one wanting to break into this field with have to overcome, and I can't give you an absolute answer on how best to do it.

Here is a quick way that can help if you can swing it. One area that there is a critical shortage of auditors is in Responsible Care (RCMS & RC14001). If you were to have in your possession a CPEA with RCMS/RC14001 attached to it you could most possibly go to work yesterday and at a fairly good day rate as a contracted auditor or salary on full time staff. The trick is qualifying for the CPEA and just about the only place to get it is here: https://www.beac.org

Check out the website at look at the requirements. It's a niche that has room for qualified people

Good luck

Top Bottom