CDRH Learn and DICE for Building a QMS

apprenticek80

Registered
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the Cove and QA in general. I've been tasked with learning quality regulations and helping to build a new QMS (moving from a very outdated paper-based system to a hybrid of paper & electronic) for 21 CFR 820 (potentially ISO 13485, too) at my very small, post-market medical device company, and I've found this forum very helpful for gathering the basics as well as some more minute details as I'm getting deeper into Quality Systems. The other resource that has probably proved the most helpful to me as a complete newbie has been CDRH Learn and the modules there.

How much can I rely on CDRH Learn? Obviously it's not binding advice from the FDA's point of view but surely using the modules in accordance with the regulation itself for guidance has got to be a pretty darn good start for our new QMS, right?

Also, a more specific question to be sure, but something I'd like a second opinion on: in their "Quality Systems Overview" module as well as the rest of the post-market activity ones, CDRH constantly points out the seven main subsystems (CAPA, Management Controls, Design Controls, Production/Process Controls, Document/Records Controls, Material Controls, & Equipment/Facility Controls) of a QMS and refers to the four bolded subsystems as being the focus of FDA audits. However, they never actually touch on Material Controls & Equipment/Facility Controls other than briefly in the Overview. From what I can gather, these two subsystems are actually just composed of various aspects of Production/Process Controls split up (such as acceptance activities, distribution controls, storage controls, etc.). I'm aware the regulations are not prescriptive and every company does things differently, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with putting procedures that are generally deemed PPC ones into Material Controls and Equipment/Facility Controls and splitting it up like that. It just makes more sense to organize the subsystems like that to me, but will it present any issues when we get audited if they're separate—so long as everything is easily accessible?

Please let me know if I'm splitting hairs over something that won't matter much in the long run; it's just a mental roadblock at the moment as I'm having trouble developing an overarching structural organization for the entire QMS and moving forward with this big question hanging in the air. The way CDRH lays out seven subsystems then never explains two of them just really threw me for a loop early on. I guess this is more of a general structure/organization question than anything! Really just looking for some best practices or personal examples. Thank you! :)

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
First off, do what works best for your company. If splitting things is more logical for your company then there's no reason to not do it.

I would suggest you not get too detailed at the higher level docs. Push all the "how" you do things down to work instructions.

Side note: one of the reasons CAPA is listed is because so many companies do it quite badly. For at least 15 years, it's bee the #1 source of inspection findings. So, yeah, they're going to look hard there!

apprenticek80

Registered
First off, do what works best for your company. If splitting things is more logical for your company then there's no reason to not do it.

I would suggest you not get too detailed at the higher level docs. Push all the "how" you do things down to work instructions.

Side note: one of the reasons CAPA is listed is because so many companies do it quite badly. For at least 15 years, it's bee the #1 source of inspection findings. So, yeah, they're going to look hard there!
Thank you! That definitely helps clear things up a lot.

As for work instructions, what is the difference between that and SOPs? My understanding is the former is more theoretical and the latter is specific to our practices. Is it entirely necessary to have both types of documents for processes that aren't under our direct control? For example, we use a contract manufacturer for our singular device. While we may do V&V for components/finished devices and have specific work instructions for that, we're not carrying out the actual manufacturing process. Is it necessary we possess the work instructions for everything or can we somehow refer to our Quality Agreement with our CM while still maintaining full responsibility for the finished device?

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
There's no absolute right or absolute wrong for SOPs / WIs. The way I approach is the SOP is what you do and the WI is how you do it. I see a lot of companies putting all sorts of detail in SOPs and then they don't do all that and get a finding.

Is it necessary we possess the work instructions for everything or can we somehow refer to our Quality Agreement with our CM while still maintaining full responsibility for the finished device?

That is exactly the right approach and the right mindset. You are responsible for making sure the requirements are met. How that is done by your CM is really their business, as long as it meets the requirements. The Quality Agreement just lays out those expectations.

QuinnM

Involved In Discussions
Hi Aapprenticek80,
The International Medical Device Regulators Forum is another good reference. See their documents section.

Documents

Quinn

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
Both NSF and GreenLight Guru have comparison tables of clauses between US FDA QSR and ISO 13485. It will help to understand the nuances between the two. My advice is to write your procedures to cover requirements of both if you think ISO certification will happen in the relatively near future.

RQ+ and GreenLight both have regular training webinars (free) that cover the related topics.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
Both NSF and GreenLight Guru have comparison tables of clauses between US FDA QSR and ISO 13485. It will help to understand the nuances between the two. My advice is to write your procedures to cover requirements of both if you think ISO certification will happen in the relatively near future.

RQ+ and GreenLight both have regular training webinars (free) that cover the related topics.

Not free, but AAMI TIR102:2019 also has the mapping between 21 CFR 820 and 13485:2016 (both directions). I like this reference because it also includes the relevant text. It will also show the links to the 21 CFR 820 preamble, where applicable.

Top Bottom