Charities and Giving

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Folks,

This post has brought out some of the most important giving. Don't let it stop here, encourage others who give to share.

As a summer temp at the local hospital I noted the constant need for blood donors, and went ahead with it as soon as I had passed the last hurdle: My 18th birthday... That was a fair no of pints ago, and I still go there about four times a year.

So, those of you who are in good health and not too shy of needles and blood: Please?:cool:

/Claes

Hershal, you may not yet realize the full import and significance of the gift that your lady friend has given you: a heart for sharing.

My wife and I donate money to the support of our church and some of the missionaries around the world. We also donate time simply praying in support of their mission, for their safety, etc.

As with Claes, I have donated gallons of blood to the Red Cross in the U.S. It may well be the one "gift of life" that you can give without giving up your own.

My wife donates time, and I donate equipment, to the White Pine Stables Therapeutic Riding Center. They put special needs kids on horseback. The change in altitude can create enormous changes in attitude. Some of these kids' only words each week are spoken from the back of a horse. For my wife, this combines two of her great passions: ponies and children.

I spent many years tutoring middle school age children in an after school program in a disadvantaged section of our local metropolitan area. It was only a small part of an organization called Urban Concern. For me, this combined two of my great passions: reading and children. It was tough work. However, I found that even helping one child advance from years behind to years ahead to be more than enough reward for every bit of the effort involved.

You can fork over lots of cash (please do!) but I guarantee that you will laugh, enjoy, cry and sorrow more (LIVE!) if you share something you love with those who do not have the wherewithal to experience it without your help. I've also found that doing something for free that you are normally paid to do can bring about positive changes to your attitude about your chosen profession. Giving of yourself is far more rewarding to everyone involved, but most especially to the giver.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
For my wife and I, we tend to give in areas where we can see a direct impact.
This is certainly not the only way to give, just how we choose to do so.
Rather than giving to a fund...we find where a fund is not capable of meeting a need, and give the difference. Hard to find these situations, but beautiful when you can see the impact of your gift.

I have recently met a young man who I think may be the most gifted person I have ever met. He is graduating from college this year and considering whether to go to grad school or to work and save before going.
Since I would hate to see him managing a fast food restaurant when he should be using his gifts instead (Ministry leader, Bible scholar and teacher) my wife and I have committed a not-insignificant portion of our ongoing income to fund him through his graduate studies...sort of adopting him in a weird kind of way.
I look forward to seeing the results of this ongoing gift, and the relationships between my wife and I, he and his fiancee, and his parents, grow as we invest in each other's lives according to our respective gifts.

Herschel - Great thread topic. Thanks!

Top Bottom