Customer Dimensions on Internal Drawing, all of them?

Marco_QSM_IT

Registered
Hello all,

not new to the forum but it's been sometime since I wrote, so my old account got cancelled (no big deal).

Question for you all: do I have to report all the dimensions on the customer drawing on my internal drawing? even If I will not check those dimensions during production and the customer knows it since I sent him our Control Plan ? (e.g.: Drawing 50 dimensions, CP 5 dimensions)

I mean, during PPAP phase we will check all the dimensions and provide a report to the customer, using the customer's drawing, but including our "reduced" control plan (we don't include our internal drawing in the PPAP documents and customers never asked for it) so that the customer knows very well that we will not be checking 100% of the dimensions (obviously all S/C are included).

At this point, since 45 out of 50 dimensions will not be checked, is it mandatory to have them on our internal drawing anyway?

By checking the ISO 9001 / IATF 16949 I could not find a conclusive answer, because in the following chapters there is a reference to cutomer requirements and special caharacteristic (which are obviously included in internal drawing and control plan), but no mentions of other characteristics:
  • 8.1.1 - A
  • 8.2.3.1 - A
  • 8.3.3.2 - A & D
  • 8.3.5.2 A & B
In the VDA 6.3 I could not find a specific point.

So...opinions? Help?

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
Not required to include all 50 dimensions in your internal drawing. However those dimensions will need to be checked during layout inspection.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Your internal drawing is for YOUR use, and so should reflect the information that YOU require. You report all dimensions to the customer on your annual PPAP submission, and as long as you reference the customer drawing to your internal drawing, that should be sufficient.

Marco_QSM_IT

Registered
Thank you both Amit and Ron, I actually like the idea of referencing the customer drawing, something like: "for all other dimensions check the customer drawing", this way we can keep the internal drawing clean and simple and still have the directions to all the dimensions.
Thanks again!

Top Bottom