Customer requirements on specific standards

Danyboy32

Starting to get Involved
I work for a small sized company in construction industry. We have received a checklist from a new customer, requiring us to answer if we comply with specific standards, such as "ASTM A475 Standard Specification for Zinc-Coated Steel Wire Strand". My question is if we can answer yes, since we only specify this in our purchase order for our provider (meet ASTM A475 requirements), we don´t make any mechanical tests for strands.

Zero_yield

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
I am not particularly familiar with metal standards. I am more familiar with being part of the company asking if a new supplier meets various standards.

-Do you know the requirements of those standards?
-Do you have documented proof that your process can make parts that meet or exceed those standards?
-Do you test your product to ensure it meets or exceeds those standards?

Edit: Johnnymo62 has a better answer below.

Last edited:

Zero_yield

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
I would ask your supplier to provide a cert that the wire complies to A475. That cert may be enough proof for you.

Reading comprehension failure on my part. Yes, if you're the middle man, you'd probably want your supplier to provide their documentation of compliance to show your compliance/

planB

Super Moderator
adding to the previous posters:
IEC 63000:2016 might also be helpful. Though the standard's primary focus is on how to declare ROHS compliance, the concepts put forward in there may be used to establish material compliance of any sort.

M

malasuerte

Sorry...I'm confused. Isn't the question from the OP if they can answer the customer checklist with a "Yes, they comply to ASTM"??

So either your co. is in compliance with the requirements or not? If you don't meet the requirements, then how can you check Yes?

And as stated, before, if you are simply the middle man and there are no requirements you would need to meet, then you would state that...but I would still probably answer NO, and explain though that the supplier does.

Black Ships

Involved In Discussions
Some standards identify the status and responsibilities of the "DISTRIBUTOR" or "REPROCESSOR", regarding the traceability of the quality documents and material certificates. Check the ASTM A475 and the references therein

Top Bottom