Drawings - Design Rules

BarbaraS

Starting to get Involved
One way to solve this is just remake your drawings to make what is being supplied. As long as its consistent; but you mention that's not even consistent.
The problem is
I have a drawing that we produced
I have one suppler that makes it to our drawing
One supplier that made their own drawing - it is consistent with ours
and one suppler that made their own and used different color wires
ALL the drawings have the same part number on them......

BarbaraS

Starting to get Involved
Why 3 suppliers?
They say do to demand.
Like I stated prior I did not know if there were Standards for this. What keeps your supplier from doing the same?
I stated working here April, so I still trying to figure out the why, when where's. They never had a QA Manager until me, I was a QE that managed prior to this.
Don't get me wrong they do great things here, they have great products, the employees are extremely talented and most are self taught.

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
Even if all the individual wires terminate in connectors and the connectors are unique and cannot be mixed, there will come a day in the life of the product where someone needs to troubleshoot a circuit or repair wire(s) in a cable. That is typically done by noting wire colors in a circuit diagram. It is not practical to trace every conductor with a continuity meter. Depending on what markets your product is sold in, there may be statutory requirements for a manufacturer to provide after-delivery service support.

If your one rogue supplier feels unrestrained to substitute different wire colors, do they likewise feel free to substitute different wire gages or different insulation materials or RoHS-banned substances in connector hardware? The manufacturer could find themselves in a legal nightmare someday if you do not maintain design control over your suppliers.

Top Bottom