(EU) 2023/956 Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism CBAM

Dirty Boxer

Registered
First allow me to introduce myself, I've been a lurker on this site for over 15 years. I have over 30 years of experience in Quality going back to ISO 9001:1994, QS9000, AS9100 - somewhere along the way I picked up EHS in my title, more as director oversite. I searched this site and found no discussion regarding (EU) 2023/956 CBAM.

Recently an international customer's new Supplier Quality Manual requires compliance with (EU) 2023/956 CBAM, after reviewing the impact to our company Senior Management has decided to decline agreement to the clause and risk losing the customer. For those not familiar with CBAM I'll give the highlights below.

1. Requires quarterly reporting of Carbon output (Greenhouse gas) starting January 31, 2024, for goods (cement, iron and steel, aluminum, fertilizers, electricity and hydrogen) you sell that will end up in the EU.
2. Starting in 2026 you will need to purchase carbon credits for goods that end up in the EU.

From the EU perspective they are trying to level the playing field since companies located in the EU have to report carbon output and pay taxes (purchase carbon credits) on that output. Business in the EU felt it unfair that goods could be imported to the EU and not pay taxes on carbon output.

Elsmar Cove would not allow me to post a link - Search Google for EU 2023/956 Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism guidance document.

Top Bottom