FMEA for Bolt Manufacturing - Example wanted

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Yes, I am everywhere.
Then, I suggest you have by now determined that you will need to do the hard research and write your own FMEA based on the engineering principles you've discovered. I have seen you in places where you are shown what to research.
Jennifer no, I haven't tried to use examples of FMEA for other environments. I don't think it would be useful because failures are totally different. But I will try also this and see if I can ''link'' somehow those other failures to the failures in cold heading and thread rolling process.
Im trying to end my project with final topic: ideas what kind of solutions don't work for specific failure and how to improve them so what could be those new solution that will or might result in a reduced RPN (no interruptions, better performance of process - less scrap and of course, at the end, higher profit).

You asked me why given example would help. To get and specially create my own ideas what could go wrong in those two processes. Operators in manufactory don't write down anything. They just replace the tool, clean the scrap and then its end of story for them.

You told me there are number of books on this subject. I don't want to ''steal'' your time too much and ask for the titles but do you have any suggestion where should I search for them? I already searched on the following locations:

- google books
- google scholar
- amazon
- e-books-directory

and so on. Local libraries, almost any e-commerce book site with at least a little better SEO optimization, even ebay and google images.
When doing classical google search, the most often failure is ''tool broke''. But thats not even failure at all - a way too simplified, obviously failure must be specific enough so the further work of causes, consequences and old/new solutions can be started.
It seems to me you are making this too hard. You've been in various forums for months. You've been offered sources to pursue for insights, and you've described your ability to comprehend the process approach to machining.

True, operators don't tend to write down what they learn while they work. That's an engineering and management failure, to lose such vital real-time wisdom. It happens all the time. So get in there and ask them. Then, comment on your experiences with them in your thesis. This challenge may have been why your professor picked this subject: he may have wanted you to author the thing. Other people may have put down nonsense - I see such things frequently. I think you should start fresh, basing your entries on your research on metal working processes and guidance from AIAG's FMEA Manual.

Research is a wandering path. Look at the books you've been referred to, here and in the other forums. Let them lead you to still other books. Pay attention to the older machinist's books: many of their truths endure with time. (I still have, and cherish my dad's Machinist's Handbook) Ask your school's engineering department, and if they don't suffice go to a different university's engineering department. I have faith that you can do a good job of this assignment.

We at the Cove are happy to help, but we take care to not rob students of the discovery process that is supposed to be the purpose of their education. With all due respect, I think it's time for you to get busy and just do it.

Last edited:
M

Mr.Happy

I think you should start fresh, basing your entries on your research on metal working processes and guidance from AIAG's FMEA Manual.

We at the Cove are happy to help, but we take care to not rob students of the discovery process that is supposed to be the purpose of their education. With all due respect, I think it's time for you to get busy and just do it.

I agree with Jennifer, :agree:
Instead of putting so much energy in surfing the net get started with help of those that produce the bolts. Ask them, How and Why.... How and Why.... How and Why.... How and Why.... How and Why.... and you will get there.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.:agree1:
Mr.happy

Y

Your Soap

Yes thank you anyway. Will try whatever I can do, not much left but still not giving up. Thank you anyway again, specially to Stijloor for caring about the topic.

M

Mr.Happy

Hello YourSoap,

So all of your effort on this topic is not completely without result I will attach a plating FMEA
Good luck,
Mr.Happy

Attachments

• FMEA plating.pdf
    75.5 KB · Views: 532
Top Bottom