Is there a point in your career where ASQ certs become meaningless?

C

Curtis317

Yes I understand the point that most ASQ certifications do not really matter with employers. I have 4 Certs on SSBB. I will have to retest since I have not been keeping up with the training requirements although 6 hrs of GD&T training will help it will not get me there. I am taking the CCT. Certified Calibration Technician. Just now getting into the Quality Council material. It is a whole different ball of wax compared to the CQE or SSSB or CQM requirements. Much more technical. Overall I think the additional knowledge will help since our company is working towards ISO 17025 accreditation. With all that being said though I have not really seen that having these certifications makes much difference. It most certainty has not affected my paycheck.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
" On the other hand, I have known several people with a CQE that didn't have a lick of common sense and were mediocre quality engineers. "

Ah, I think I know that guy. And his brethren and sisthren.

I acquired CMI, CQA, and never worried about maintaining them. I studied for CQE but did not sit the exam. I acquired an online Six Sigma cert from somebody or other and haven't bothered to maintain it either.

They're all interesting bullet points on a resume to spur conversation. I am upfront in interviews about the status of my certs, and most potential employers approve, based on results.

If you want to collect and maintain certs, there's value to it I'm sure, but it's not my hobby.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Knowledge is good and should be pursued daily plus it is "cool" to have the acronyms behind your name. It means you passed a test. If you have to take a different one the result may not be the same. It is about what you do with it and more importantly what your organization allows you to do with it.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
" On the other hand, I have known several people with a CQE that didn't have a lick of common sense and were mediocre quality engineers. "

Ah, I think I know that guy. And his brethren and sisthren.

Amen!

I think there are lots of charlatans with the title QE or QM, etc. and some employers use ASQ certs as just one more way to TRY to weed out the bad ones. But it is for sure not a foolproof method, as no such method exists.

The QE guy I replaced many years ago had a Master's and most every ASQ cert you could name (and he is still out there!) but was run out on a rail after being given many chances to step up. It was pretty much universally accepted that he was awful. On paper, I was no where near his peer; in the workplace I made him look like a rank amateur.

So I'd say if you have it, keep it, someday it might make a difference. Ya just never know in this crazy world.

Top Bottom