MSA and Poison (Red Rabbit) Test

abdul42550

Starting to get Involved
Hi,
We are doing MSA Attribute on Appearance characteristics like Dent, Scratch, Dull Finish etc. at Pre Dispatch Inspection. Collect 20 pcs OK /NG as per norms with 3 Appraiser and 3 trials and calculate the Effectiveness, Miss Rate and False Alarm. Action initiated accordingly.

Another test is Poison test Selecting 100 pcs in which 10pcs of Not ok and offer to inspector as normal routine inspection and see the result and initiate the action accordingly.

My Question is What is the difference in MSA & Poison Test and Where to use MSA and Poison separately, Or both tools are alternate of each other for the purpose being used. Please help us to understand these. I appreciate in advance for your input.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Please explain what you mean by a "poison test." I have decades of experience with MSA, but have never heard of this poison test.

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
@Miner, it is also called a poison cake or red rabbit test. It is used to check the effectiveness of inspectors - mainly training effectiveness. It is done to check whether he/she is able to catch the defect.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Hi,
We are doing MSA Attribute on Appearance characteristics like Dent, Scratch, Dull Finish etc. at Pre Dispatch Inspection. Collect 20 pcs OK /NG as per norms with 3 Appraiser and 3 trials and calculate the Effectiveness, Miss Rate and False Alarm. Action initiated accordingly.

Another test is Poison test Selecting 100 pcs in which 10pcs of Not ok and offer to inspector as normal routine inspection and see the result and initiate the action accordingly.

My Question is What is the difference in MSA & Poison Test and Where to use MSA and Poison separately, Or both tools are alternate of each other for the purpose being used. Please help us to understand these. I appreciate in advance for your input.
The attribute MSA is used to quantify how well appraisers can agree on what good/bad as well as how well they can classify the various types of defects. % Agreement can tell you whether the test is any good, and Kappa scores can tell you where you need to provide better operational definitions and/or training for certain defects.

A Red Rabbit (or poison test) is more of an ongoing audit to detect whether the appraisers continue to perform as expected.

The attribute MSA should be done first followed by the periodic audit. If the audit shows an issue, you may want to repeat the attribute MSA to better determine the root cause.

abdul42550

Starting to get Involved
The attribute MSA is used to quantify how well appraisers can agree on what good/bad as well as how well they can classify the various types of defects. % Agreement can tell you whether the test is any good, and Kappa scores can tell you where you need to provide better operational definitions and/or training for certain defects.

A Red Rabbit (or poison test) is more of an ongoing audit to detect whether the appraisers continue to perform as expected.

The attribute MSA should be done first followed by the periodic audit. If the audit shows an issue, you may want to repeat the attribute MSA to better determine the root cause.
Thanks for clarify one more key world A Red Rabbit and explaining the things.

Top Bottom