My Resume - Please give me Suggestions

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Absolutely! Especially in quality, typographical errors and poor grammar and poor spelling mark a candidate as lazy and sloppy. Even if your own grammar and spelling is poor, you can always ask (or pay) someone who is good at grammar and spelling to proofread your document BEFORE you send it to a targeted employer.

When it COUNTS, like in a resume, do everything possible to get it right. Alas, folks who are getting used to Twitters and instant messages seem to have developed an arrogance about old fuddy duddy grammarians and spelling whizzes as being "out of touch" with the real world. In MY real world, executives and regulators can be very fussy about errors and omissions. Attorneys have a field day in creating a preponderance of evidence about negligence when documents and records are poorly phrased and spelled. Executives do well to try to keep sloppy, lazy writers and spellers off the payroll.

Here we have what appears to be a contradiction, but it actually highlights a potential pitfall in job hunting. If a candidate has trouble with spelling, punctuation, grammar and writing in general and has her r?sum? "sanitized" by a more competent person, isn't she essentially misrepresenting her own skills? I think that many companies fail to put enough emphasis on writing skills for positions where writing is important, and part of the reason for this is that the people doing the hiring are lousy writers too.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Here we have what appears to be a contradiction, but it actually highlights a potential pitfall in job hunting. If a candidate has trouble with spelling, punctuation, grammar and writing in general and has her r?sum? "sanitized" by a more competent person, isn't she essentially misrepresenting her own skills? I think that many companies fail to put enough emphasis on writing skills for positions where writing is important, and part of the reason for this is that the people doing the hiring are lousy writers too.

Excellent points!!

When I lived in The Netherlands, a Curriculum Vitae (r?sum?) had to be handwritten. Typed version were not permitted at that time.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Excellent points!!

When I lived in The Netherlands, a Curriculum Vitae (r?sum?) had to be handwritten. Typed version were not permitted at that time.
"Handwritten!?" Golly, that would eliminate a slew of current college kids who can't even READ cursive handwriting, let alone use it. Last year, at a seminar at the local community college, I wrote some points in cursive (I have VERY legible handwriting) on the whiteboard. Two of the younger members of the class shot their hands up. The first one said, "I can't read that!" The second one said, "What language is that?"

The incident raised a brief discussion. Only a very few thought it strange that some couldn't read my very legible cursive and not one thought it strange that many NEVER wrote in cursive, but only printed if they couldn't use a keyboard. I asked each of the 12 in the seminar to come up and put his/her signature on the board (the one they use on checks and ID documents.) I could only read about six of them without effort and two (the ones who couldn't read my writing) had kind of printed signatures. The ones I couldn't decipher were like the Treasury Secretary nominee's. They had no identifiable characters.

Bottom line??
There's a growing trend to drop cursive writing from the curriculum in a number of schools today. I predict the trend will continue. Cursive probably started as a form of "speedwriting" and, secondarily, to limit ink blotches from starting and stopping the pen in making letters. Today, folks able to use keyboards or touchscreens don't have those concerns.

Scribes and copyists began to fade once Guttenberg invented and used movable type.

BACK on the thread
There are functional differences between writing clear narrative sentences (in a cover letter) and using bullet points and outline phrases in a resume.

In the cover letter, a candidate is best served by creating a compelling "story" of the value he can deliver to a prospective employer. It should be compelling enough (including spelling and grammar) to induce the reader to say, "We should interview this interesting person and find out more."

The resume is, at base, just a compilation of historical facts. What separates one that's kept and considered from the one that goes in the trash is often just a subjective opinion by the reader, NOT an objective evaluation of the facts contained therein. Eliminating the "turnoffs" (wordiness, poor spelling, poor grammar, poor typography, messiness, etc.) is just one way of dealing with the subjective factor.

Earlier, a poster brought up "blanks" in the history. Blanks happen. They are facts. They are facts that will appear in lots of resumes covering the past four years. There are ways to explain the gaps and blanks. For those really having trouble with gaps and blanks, start a new thread and we can take it up as a special topic. What will NEVER work in the long run is trying to hide such blanks. Once discovered, they create distrust ("What else is he hiding?") and prospective employers find it easier to just move on to the next candidate rather than clear the air.

:topic:
re?su?m? or re?su?me or r??su?m?
are all different, but acceptable spellings - In Europe, folks more frequently use C.V. (Curriculum vitae) and in North America folks use one of the three above. Personally, I have gotten out of the habit of adding the accent aigu ? on either or both of the "e" characters because most times I'm working on a keyboard that doesn't easily allow extended ASCII characters. Trust me on this - if the employer is so fussy he trashes your resume because you didn't use French accents over your letters, you probably didn't want to work for him anyway.

Attachments

• My Resume - Please give me Suggestions
    JacobLewsig.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
B

benzkumar

Hi all,

Thanks all for your info,

Regarding Job positions, I'm including Quality Assurance/Supplier Quality Assurance.

Also i may play a role to assist the Management representative for co-ordination of ISO 9001 activities. How can i write the job position for this skill.

Suggestions please.....

E

eturkan

Office 2007 ?Autocad 2004? What year are we in? I would not add version numbers..

Gage R&R..Some HR people may not know MSA. They filter everything first.
You may also need to add/learn minitab. If you know statistics and how to interpret results, it should not take more than 15 minutes to learn it.

3D modeling..Proe / UG exposure is needed since sometime you have to refer to the 3D model for dimensions.

As stated earlier, your resume should match to the keywords in the preferred skill sets required for the position.

B

benzkumar

Dear All,

i may play a role to assist the Management representative for co-ordination of ISO 9001 activities. How can i write the job position for this skill.

Suggestions please.....

G

guruprasadb

Generally Assiting MR activities may involve

Preparing and executing the Schedule of Management Review minutes , IQA,

Handling & Successful closure of NC’s during various audits (internal , Certifying body & customers etc)

Supporting in effective implementation of QMS
Monitoring Trends of KPI

A

Ashok GS

Dear All,

i may play a role to assist the Management representative for co-ordination of ISO 9001 activities. How can i write the job position for this skill.

Suggestions please.....

Kumar,

If you are going to play an MR role, your probably would know some requirements from ISO 9001 standard. See if you are already doing those and have experience in them. Highlight those areas and speak up more on this during your interview. Elucidate more on how you as an MR can make QMS work for the organization and also give value addition.

Thanks!

E

eturkan

You can pass HR screening with keywords on your resume but you may miserably fail during the onsite interview.

People who will interview you are the experts compared to you..
It is not all about what you know. It is more about what you achieved in past and what else you can. They will try to assess your potential. Don?t put anything on your resume that you are not good enough to teach to someone else.Self awareness is important. It is better to say "I don't know" rather than saying a few related things that does not logically make sense.

Top Bottom