Need Continuous improvement Suggestions - Small (30 of us) all-CNC machine shop

SpinDr99

Involved In Discussions
Top management has always been intimately involved with customers and production which I think is great. I can't get the GM to pick some business analytics to measure as Quality Objectives, despite reminders.

The Foreman just can't be bothered with Quality issues as he's also got plenty on his plate and doesn't feel we need ISO. He'd prefer another Inspector over a Quality Manager. The Inspector also doesn't see the need for ISO and that tail is wagging this dog. He only does what he wants and the GM tells me not to try to change that.

I need to get these handcuffs off or jump ship. Very telling after only 7 months here. Top management doesn't walk the walk and balks when we need to spend money on outside calibrations. It's never ending. I'm kept out of the loop on customer complaints and returns because they feel it's a black eye. And I explain without documenting these thing, I can't show improvement. I've gotten the company in a good place for the 2015 audit, but there WILL be findings, and that may be a good thing.

So back to the original issue, I need to find parameters to become objectives which are trackable (by myself or the GM, since I can't count on others to contribute). So how do I show continuous improvement?

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Business is better than ever, the PM came up during a customer audit. In all my past shops, operators were responsible for PM but the GM wants to make 2-3 Leads responsible, says we'll have a meeting and they'll be announced then. That was 2 weeks ago.

Two week. OMG. And this makes my point. I know to you, it's the most important thing in the world. Your knee deep in it, everyday. But to your owner, it's probably 20th on the list. He's probably trying to figure out Friday's payroll, this month's house payment, and keeping the old lady happy. You may need to keep prodding him or even offer to make the decision for him -- suggest he pick Jim, John and Bob.

howste

Thaumaturge
So back to the original issue, I need to find parameters to become objectives which are trackable (by myself or the GM, since I can't count on others to contribute). So how do I show continuous improvement?
What are the processes of your QMS that have been defined? Look at each process and determine what the desired outputs are for it. Then decide what you can measure to show the effectiveness of getting those outputs. Do this for each process. You now have a list of metrics/objectives. These will identify where improvements are needed.

BTW, this should have been done as part of the basis of the QMS as described in ISO 9001:2015 clause 4.4. Another way to say what I said is right in the standard:
4.4.1¶2 The organization shall determine the processes needed for the quality management system...
4.4.1¶a determine... the outputs expected from these processes
4.4.1¶c determine and apply the criteria and methods (including monitoring, measurements and related performance indicators) needed to ensure the effective operation and control of these processes

This sets you up for continual improvement by holding the processes (and process owners) accountable for their results and identifying where improvements are necessary:
4.4.1¶g evaluate these processes and implement any changes needed to ensure that these processes achieve their intended results
4.4.1¶h improve the processes and the quality management system.

So the starting point is the processes defined in the system. Can you post a document or something that shows what they are?

SpinDr99

Involved In Discussions
I don't see the "attach file" icon to attach our process map. Processes have been identified, and outputs are as planned.

As for improvement, that's just this side of a miracle. I learned today my Inspector tightened a centering tolerance for a vertical and horizontal bore from +/-0.015" to +/-0.002" "because it's better". So our CMM report showed a rejection when one didn't exist. He hand-wrote the actual tolerance and let it go. He's my only inspector and can't afford to watch him walk, as I'd be right behind him.

Monitoring/measuring: Again, in-process inspections are irregular at best. Some operators have never held a caliper/micrometer and another person does the in-process for them. Usually.

howste

Thaumaturge
The top part looks really familiar. ;)

So it looks like your processes are named:
- Management Responsibility
- Resource Management
- Measurement, Analysis and Improvement
Product Realization is subdivided into these processes:
- Receive Proposal
- Sales/Contract Review
- Planning for Product Realization
- Manufacturing/Inspection
- Assembly
- Preserve and Pack
- Ship

Do each of these have some method of monitoring/measurements/performance indicators? If not, they should be determined. Ideally the process monitors should tie into the quality policy & objectives and the company's direction. Some years ago I posted a page here that shows how these are tied together. Maybe it will give you some ideas: Example Quality Policy - Objectives2.doc

SpinDr99

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for your attachment. Since we don't do design, revisions and development doesn't apply. Only 1 customer sends in a report card, and we continually go up in our score. We write very few N/C's and rarely a C/A, so none recur. Profitability data needs to come from the GM. Because we're extremely responsive to customer needs, we know we're not efficient, and I don't see that changing. Responsiveness is one of our bigger assets to the customers. That also impacts on-time delivery which is nearly impossible to track because of fluidity (?) to customer needs.

SpinDr99

Involved In Discussions
So looking at my last reply, I'm thinking I'm able to show CI and may be over thinking this. Any takers?

Golfman25

So looking at my last reply, I'm thinking I'm able to show CI and may be over thinking this. Any takers?

You are way over thinking it. Sure, showing metrics with good trends can measure improvements. But there are many things you can do to actually improve that may not show up on those trends. If need be, you can do a before and after measurement (i.e; it took 40 min before and 20 min after improvement). From you several posts, you have a years worth of continuous improvement projects.

Top Bottom