Transparent size estimation chart

cbaker1214

Registered
Good Afternoon, I am looking for a transparent size estimation chart for inspection purposes. Sizes of specks of contamination and certain defects on plastic injection molded products, specifically. I have found a couple on the Ryan Quality Control site and of course on Amazon. Wondering if there is something specific out there used for this application.

Thank you for your time.

mhannon

Calibration leader
We also use TAPPI 0109DIRTCAL transparencies to make calls on FOD in extruded plastic. These are a bit pricy, but they come calibrated, which is necessary for our QMS.

Only issue is these dots are measured in area (square millimeters). However, our internal specs define defects in diameter. We had to make a reference card for the operators converting the area of the dots to their diameter.

QChas

Involved - Posts
We are not medical and have been using the TAPPI T564 charts in injection molding for over 15 years FOR REFERENCE ONLY!!

Inspection Charts

Criteria is normal lighting at arms length. Use this along with "The Society of the Plastics Industry Cosmetic Specifications of Injection Molded Parts". Review this up front with the customer. We used terms such as no more than 3 specs at .015 per side. If this results in too much scrap, meet with the customer again and with your supplier. Price of material may go up to ensure parts are acceptable to the customer.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
I was looking for the same thing a few years ago - ended up having something specifically made for me by a local printer. Printed on sheets of plastic and ended up being about $0.25 each (batch size of 100). The first 'proof' sample was verified by measurement, and we checked a couple of samples when we received the batch. Since we weren't looking for anything critical, the tolerance we used was pretty broad (± 0.005" if I recall). Never had any issues with it, with either the customers or 3rd party auditors.

QChas

Involved - Posts
I was looking for the same thing a few years ago - ended up having something specifically made for me by a local printer. Printed on sheets of plastic and ended up being about $0.25 each (batch size of 100). The first 'proof' sample was verified by measurement, and we checked a couple of samples when we received the batch. Since we weren't looking for anything critical, the tolerance we used was pretty broad (± 0.005" if I recall). Never had any issues with it, with either the customers or 3rd party auditors.
We just run off our own copies using transparency sheets and a laser printer

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
QChas - yes, that is another way of doing it. We didn't have a good-quality laser printer available, or that is what I would have done as well.

Top Bottom