What are the International Forging Requirements for Nitrogen Strengthened Stainless Steel?

Hi All,

The ASTM and ISO standards that I have found related to the Nightrogen Strengthened Stainless Steel that we need are the following:

- ASTM F1586 Standard Specification for Wrought Nitrogen Strengthened 21Chromium—10Nickel— 3Manganese—2.5Molybdenum Stainless Steel Alloy Bar for Surgical Implants (UNS S31675)
- ISO 5832-9 Implants for surgery — Metallic materials — Part 9: Wrought high nitrogen stainless steel

These standards contain the mechanical properties for the Anealed, Medium Hard, and Hard conditions of the product.

However, I wish to know what the international standard mechanical requirements for Hot-worked (As Forged) is?
I need to present this to a supplier in a specification.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thank you

Kind Regards
Scott

Kloppfer

Registered
Hello,

there are ISO 15374 _1998_Implants for surgery-Requirements for production of forgings and ASTM F621−12 Standard Specification for Stainless Steel Forgings for surgical implants.
Both of those refer to the standards you mentioned for the mechanical requirements and don't state separate mechanical properties.

Best regards
Upke.

Hello,

there are ISO 15374 _1998_Implants for surgery-Requirements for production of forgings and ASTM F621−12 Standard Specification for Stainless Steel Forgings for surgical implants.
Both of those refer to the standards you mentioned for the mechanical requirements and don't state separate mechanical properties.

Best regards
Upke.

Hey Kloppfer, Thank you for your response.

I was hoping you would mention F621, because I found this too.
A supplier has said to me that there is no mechanical requirement for forging. Therefore, they have their own requirements for Hot-worked (As forged) based on their own internal test results, however, to me F621 clearly states that the forging mechanical properties must satisfy the minimum mechanical requirement of F1586.

Therefore, I was hoping to see if I was missing something.

Thank you.

Top Bottom