What level of change in documentation requires re-training?

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
This seems like one of those areas that's a judgement call, but I've been doing a lot of document changes lately and one of the questions that I'm considering as well as getting it form others, is ow to determine if re-training is required when one changes a process document? Obviously changes in formatting etc. do not, but what level of change should trigger re-training? New employees on a new process would require it, but do we assume that if someone is hired for a specific kind of talk that they should also be considered able to read and understand documentation without being trained at all?

Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
This seems like one of those areas that's a judgement call, but I've been doing a lot of document changes lately...
The map is not the territory. Don't conflate the document with the process. If you've been doing process changes, then some level of training is probably in order. If you've been making a lot of editorial changes, probably not.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Are the employees involved in the process changes? If you guys make the actual changes and are just updating the documents, then they have likely been "trained" in the changes and there is little need to go over the documents.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
In my thinking reading an updated procedure is a legitimate type of training (self-training). Sometimes it's enough.
Where people are supposed to follow written procedures or otherwise be guided in their work by controlled documents, it's essential that they're at least made aware of changes and their contents.

Randy

Super Moderator
"What level of change should trigger re-training?" Simple answer would be when there is a change in expectations, process, performance requirements or intended results or outputs.

Like what's been stated by Sidney...Look at the risk and act accordingly...It's your decision, based on your judgement, methodology and or values.

Top Bottom