Which is the best OHSMS model according your analysis*and your experience ?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
In English:

Should = Optional, you have choices.

Shall = Mandatory, no choices.

Hope this helps. :D

Stijloor.

Henria and Randy have been talking past one another for three years now. I see little hope at this point for resolution. Henria says the "shoulds" in his favored document may be, at the user's option, interpreted as "shalls." Randy keeps reminding him of the difference between "should" and "shall," but I think Henria understands the difference, so around in circles it goes. Time to give it a rest, maybe?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Henria and Randy have been talking past one another for three years now. I see little hope at this point for resolution. Henria says the "shoulds" in his favored document may be, at the user's option, interpreted as "shalls." Randy keeps reminding him of the difference between "should" and "shall," but I think Henria understands the difference, so around in circles it goes. Time to give it a rest, maybe?

I concur!! :agree1:

Stijloor.

Randy

Super Moderator
:topic:Naaa Jim, I'm really thankful getting the lesson on judges and the legal system. Being a former law enforcement officer myself and after spending who knows how many hundreds of hours in criminal and civil court proceedings as well as being a former ceritified paralegal with special expertise in litigation and having a son who is also a law enforcement officer-soon to take the bar exam himself being reminded about judges and courts was rather refreshing

:lol::lol:

Henria

OSH Officer
Hello !

You are right guys, discussions of "shall" or "should" about texts which are not mandatory (because not laws or statutory regulations, and in addition coming from another country *) they are childishness, though...

* In a true law (mandatory) of the Government of his most gracious majesty Queen Elizabeth, does "shall" be a requirement in a compagny of Arkansas (USA) ? No!

And more generally if me (poor old and french OSH officer) I say "you must do this to have that good result..." you will certainly hear "you should", because I have no authority over you. By cons if I invite you in my area (French Alps) and if you want tourism advices from me, I certainly will tell you "you should" go in the small village named "La Bérarde" in the heart of the hight mountains * called "Les Ecrins (jewels)", it is quite possible that you obey me (hearing "you shall").

* I practice ski-mountaineering (I don't know the exact name, it's trekking in hight mountains with special skis, but outside of ski stations) and today for example with two friends I have hiked from 1200m of vertical drop (and steep slope) under a radiant sun. It was fantastic but I'm tired !

Thanks for yuo and bye !

A

AGFrizz - 2012

You might reference this document from OHSonline.com

I found it helpful, so maybe you will too.
:2cents:

Attachments

• WhichTrainingFormatIsRightforMe.pdf
    175.9 KB · Views: 277
Top Bottom