Customers' Traceability

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
I apologize up front for the length of this post. Also you'll have to pardon the complaining, but I've found that complaining to other quality folks yields more value than any you can get from the production folks. I'm sure I've learned more about quality standards here than anywhere else. I routinely tell my reports QC mgr., techs, engineers, coordinators if they have questions about clauses in standards, to come search here first. I'd like to hear what others may have done in a similar situation.

I've worked at this company for 35 years, moving from the production floor, QC lab tech, QC mgr., and now Dir. of QA. We are a tier 2 supplier of aluminum tubing (commodity/bulk material). We have a pretty good traceability system; however, it's all for not when a few tier 1 customers lose our traceability the second they start processing the parts we send them. For our traceability, we issue a new serial (lot) number any time a new label is printed. A label is printed in any process that changes the product's dimensions or temper.

I've given up trying to track KPIs such as PPMs because they are always at fractions of 1, # of claims/month or year, etc. I finally settled on quality claim per million lbs. shipped and monitoring YTD values, because there can be a 2-month delay between shipping and time of use at the customer. If a customer has an issue they can provide us any serial number, found either on the parts themselves or on a box that contains multiple parts. From a serial number, we can generate a tree that displays all serial numbers the part/s came from or went into, and trace the product or lot through each step in our production process all the way back to the chemistry analysis of the ingots we received from our supplier. At each step, all data for that part exists in a lookup screen, down to the employee ID that performed that step at the time the product was processed. Using the times/dates from the lookup, we can search PLC data logs and review the pressures, temperatures, timings, etc. observed at each production step. Our problem starts as soon as our customers move parts from their warehouses to their production lines.

With our products being bulk materials, our customers cut our parts down to the finished length, often resulting in thousands of parts. Customers tend to "lose" our label (and its serial number) when they start production. Making the situation worse, many don't follow FIFO very well, if at all. If an issue/defect is identified, it's typically deep into their processing. Since almost every tier 1 pushes zero-defect policies, an issue/defect, even if it only concerns one 6" part taken from one of our parts consisting of 2,000+ feet, we'll receive a quality claim on material without a serial # and have no way to determine when we produced it. We may be able to do a bunch of research in hopes of narrowing the window of time we made it, but there are no guarantees. We once went through a long investigation in the end to be supplied with a 3-year old VIN number. Our T&C's state a 12-month warranty, so we told the customer to pound sand or, "..unfortunately, we're unable to investigate an issue that was created 3 years ago".

To make a super-long post even longer, I have 2 questions I could really use others' insights on.
1) I want to create a form letter stating if a serial number cannot be supplied, a complete 8D cannot be performed. We can define our current controls to prevent the issue/defect, but that's it. What are your thoughts about this tact?

2) I've read the clauses in IATF that reference traceability, but I can't determine if customer's that pitch our traceability into the trash are failing to meet the intent of these clauses? If so, I could work that overlooked requirement into the letter. Note: as far as I know, none of our customers that cause these problems do not supply safety-related parts to the OEMs.

I sincerely appreciate any advice, tips, criticisms, etc.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
You can't control what your customers do once they receive the material. I simple standard response that you can't do a full investigation without traceability information should suffice, regardless of what they want, because in fact you can't do squat without that information.

Now truthfully it makes no sense -- but considering the automakers it does. Every batch of material we receive gets an independent lot number with goes with all production records. Given that number we can get back to the material cert. and our vendor's records. Without it, all we can do is guess. We usually get a PO number for the suspect parts and we can trace what we sent from that.

Scanton

Quite Involved in Discussions
We are a tier 2 supplier and our traceability is rock solid.
Every box/tray of components shipped can be traced back to the machine that made them and the material it was made from right back to the mill batch.

One of the tier 1 customers we supply to pretty much bins this information as soon as the product hits the factory floor, and then gets shirty when they have a problem and we can't trace it for them, God only knows how they got and maintain an IATF 16949 certification.

I feel your pain, however once they take this action it becomes "their problem" and no longer "your problem" and you have to "put your foot down with a firm hand" on this one :). If you maintain traceability right up until the product is in their hands, there really is nothing more you can do.

Like Golfman25 said, we can also usually trace a batch of components with a PO number however if we are shipping large quantities with different material deliveries and/or machines used then all we can do is make them aware of how many parts are linked to each machine and material batch and let them align it with their production (if they can).

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
1) I want to create a form letter stating if a serial number cannot be supplied, a complete 8D cannot be performed. We can define our current controls to prevent the issue/defect, but that's it. What are your thoughts about this tact?

Without traceability you should be able to do up to D3, but depending on the issue it may be impossible to confirm or eliminate your organizations liability. I've seen it a few times with customers where traceability is lost as soon as our part is on their shop floor.

I had an issue once where our part was processed (screwed and ultrasonically welded to an assembly) and the end customer reported a defect on the assembly. We did containment, found nothing, did fault finding and based on their evidence (pictures) we couldn't understand how this could have happened in our manufacturing process. Requested traceability, nothing. Requested the parts back, they threw them away. Told them we couldn't continue our investigations and that was the end of that.

2) I've read the clauses in IATF that reference traceability, but I can't determine if customer's that pitch our traceability into the trash are failing to meet the intent of these clauses? If so, I could work that overlooked requirement into the letter. Note: as far as I know, none of our customers that cause these problems do not supply safety-related parts to the OEMs.

Once the goods are with the customer, unless you have other agreements, all traceability is with them.

Naneki

Registered
This is a common issue. Not providing the right information, is most of the time impossible to determine the real root cause. You can ask operators/engineers to perform a DoE (design of experiments) to reproduce the same deviation, but still, its hard to see what exactly happened in the particular batch. In this particular case you could also add the specification linked to the deviation to your control plan and follow it up.

Also I would suggest you to discuss the minimum information needed from customers regarding complaints within e.g. service level agreements with CS/Sales. This way you will always have backup from agreements, pushing customers to set-up their traceability.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Great post, it is for many suppliers, a harsh reality dealing with many customers, “too busy”, or just talking the QA SQ talk. This may be more of a business issue than a process control or inventory control issue.

Whoever in your company deals with this custome…it might be up to them to rather diplomatically drive home the impact of failing to properly document and ultimately implement a sound trace ability program. From the sounds of it, your system is pretty sound, yet all the available information is discarded by your customer or at least ignored. I’ve witnessed this firsthand in the automotive arena: where there is some sort of regulatory field action required, and as the investigation ensues, the data gets ever more cloudy and muddled as a result of poor record-keeping or incomplete record-keeping.
Hope this helps,
Optomist1

Rambo

Starting to get Involved
Pardon me for saying, OP, but you seem to be looking through the wrong end of the tube. Question for you: what is it worth to your company, to have better traceability? I see aluminum tubing with dot-matrix printing on it. Is it feasible, possible? If a lot number/code could be printed on it at some good frequency (every X inches, or feet?)-- that would enable your company to do a better job of investigating, potentially implementing solutions to the problems found. How will your company get better and customers more satisfied, if field rejects cannot be analyzed? If the answer to my question is it would cost a million dollars to solve a $10K/year problem-- potentially take another route.

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
Pardon me for saying, OP, but you seem to be looking through the wrong end of the tube. Question for you: what is it worth to your company, to have better traceability? I see aluminum tubing with dot-matrix printing on it. Is it feasible, possible? If a lot number/code could be printed on it at some good frequency (every X inches, or feet?)-- that would enable your company to do a better job of investigating, potentially implementing solutions to the problems found. How will your company get better and customers more satisfied, if field rejects cannot be analyzed? If the answer to my question is it would cost a million dollars to solve a $10K/year problem-- potentially take another route.

Sorry for the late reply. Those are all good ideas, and after working here for 34 years, 12 of those in QC, I and countless others over the years have researched this application for over a decade and have never found equipment that utilizes a technology that will work in this process. Our process includes a tube drawing step. This is a very harsh process and to make it even harder, tubes are annealed after drawing at close to 1,000f. Every marking equipment OEM finds a process parameter/s that prevents the marking of parts, or that the marking would still usable at the end of the process i.e., line speed, lubrication, part size, temperature (the main problem), etc. We commonly hear these ideas from customers because none of them realize how different our process is from theirs. They only form and fabricate parts to go into assemblies. Theirs is a much much different process that one that creates parts from ingot metal.

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
Great post, it is for many suppliers, a harsh reality dealing with many customers, “too busy”, or just talking the QA SQ talk. This may be more of a business issue than a process control or inventory control issue.

Whoever in your company deals with this custome…it might be up to them to rather diplomatically drive home the impact of failing to properly document and ultimately implement a sound trace ability program. From the sounds of it, your system is pretty sound, yet all the available information is discarded by your customer or at least ignored. I’ve witnessed this firsthand in the automotive arena: where there is some sort of regulatory field action required, and as the investigation ensues, the data gets ever more cloudy and muddled as a result of poor record-keeping or incomplete record-keeping.
Hope this helps,
Optomist1
Unfortunately, this issue occurs with 95% of our customers. I would assume it's this way because almost all of our customers do the same fabrication and forming on metal we send them. They all think they are different, but I've visited most of them, they are the same. We give all incoming customers the same talk, ".. in order to perform an effective investigation, we need a serial number, any serial number, from any included in the order.. blah blah". They agree, but when an issue arises, they've either forgotten about the request, or they've replace the folks that were in place at the beginning of the relationship.

Top Bottom