Slide 54 of 161
Concept FMEAs are used to analyze concepts for systems and subsystems in the early stages.
- Focus on potential failure modes associated with the proposed functions of a concept proposal caused by design decisions that introduce deficiencies (these include �design� decision about the process layout).
- Include the interaction of multiple systems and the interaction between the elements of a system at concept stages (this may be operation interaction in the process).
Design FMEAs are used to analyze products before they are released to production.
- Focus on potential failure modes of products caused by design deficiencies.
- Identify potential designated characteristics called �Special Characteristics.�
Process FMEAs are used to analyze manufacturing and assembly processes.
- Focus on potential product failure modes caused by manufacturing or assembly process deficiencies.
- Confirm the need for Special Controls in manufacturing and confirm the designated potential �Special Characteristics� from the Design FMEA.
- Identify process failure modes that could violate government regulations or compromise employee safety.
FMEA and Control Plans Forum Discussions