Types of Automotive FMEAs
Machinery FMEA � is used to analyze low-volume specialty machinery (equipment and tools), that allows for customized selection of component parts, machine structure, tooling, bearings, coolants, etc.
- Focuses on designs that improve the reliability and maintainability of the machinery for long-term plant usage.
- Considers preventive maintenance as a control to ensure reliability.
- Considers limited volume, customized machinery where large scale testing of a number of machines is impractical prior to production and manufacture of the machine.
- Considers parts that can be selected for use in the machine, where reliability data is available or can be obtained before production use.
Concept FMEA � is used to analyze concepts for systems and subsystems in the early stages.
- Focuses on potential failure modes associated with the functions of a concept proposal caused by design decisions that introduce deficiencies.
- Includes the interaction of multiple systems, and interactions between the elements of a system at concept stages.
- Would apply to all new machinery concepts that have never been done before, all new plant machinery layout, new architecture for machinery, etc.)
System FMEA � is used to analyze planned / proposed systems.
- Intended to transform an operational need into a description of system performance parameters and system configuration through the use of an interactive process of functional analysis, synthesis, optimization, design, test, and evaluation.
Design FMEA � is used to analyze products, high volume tools or standard machines, machine components, standard production tooling, etc., before they are released to production.
- Focuses on potential failure modes of products caused by design deficiencies.
- Focuses on parts that can be prototyped and tested or modeled before high volume production of the product is launched.
Process FMEA � is used to analyze manufacturing and assembly processes.
- Focuses on potential product failure modes caused by manufacturing or assembly process deficiencies.
- Useful in analyzing process steps that can influence the design of machinery, including selection of appropriate tooling and machinery component parts.
| Previous slide
|| Next slide
|| Back to first slide
|| View graphic version
FMEA and Control Plans Forum Discussions