The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Single Post View

Old 18th March 1999, 01:48 AM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,672
I think most of the 'disagreement' here is in how we interpret some words like REACTIVE. I called Corrective Action REACTIVE. One can also say that what one does in response to findings from analyzing data is REACTING to the data - and to some degree I agree. But I tend to want to use the word ACTING on data rather than REACTING to data.

I particularly liked:
Quote:
I understand the fundamental tool for corrective action is cause analysis. In order to remove causes it is necessary to change the process. The changes should prevent falures to happen again in the future. Corrective action is triggered by an event in the operation of a process, but it causes us to review process and product design.

In preventive action, we are dealing with things that didn't happen yet. The fundamental tools are PDPC (process decision program chart) and FMEA. Thus preventive action is triggered while the product and/or process are in their design phase.
Citing the tools provides a clarifying look at what we're dealing with.

I use the word PREDICTIVE with PREVENTATIVE as that's how I learned it. You PREDICT possible problems and their causes.

I have a problem to some degree with the relationship of Continuous Improvement and Preventive Action because they are so closely related. I guess what I mean to say is I believe these confuse folks as well. I see Preventive Action as one of a sub-set of things you to for Continuous Improvement.

If I start a thread on Continuous Improvement (or revive an old one...), will anyone come? (If a tree fall in a forest, does....?"

Sponsored Links

The time now is 04:57 PM. All times are GMT -4.
Your time zone can be changed in your UserCP --> Options.

Misc. Internal Links

NOTE: This forum uses "Cookies"