The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

What to expect when a Critical Supplier moves? - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
critical suppliers, fda (food and drug administration), iso 13485 - medical device qms, validation plan, suppliers (general topics), validation of machines equipment processes design etc., letter to file (fda term), 510(k)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 9th November 2010, 07:47 AM
Phil Fields

Total Posts: 376
Re: What to expect when a Critical Supplier moves?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by JJLit View Post

I was just informed from one of our suppliers that they will be moving their operations into a facility that is owned by their parent company. This supplier provides a critical cobalt-chrome porous coating for several of our medical devices. This process was part of our 510(k) submission for this device. We are both FDA and ISO 13485 certified.

My question is what should I expect this supplier to provide as evidence of validation once the move takes place? Obviously we will be doing a vendor audit but I don't know what to request of them. I am sure they will put together a validation plan as part of their move and that should evaluate all risks that are associated. Are there some guidelines that I should follow?
JJlit,
This an interesting question. You have received good feedback from others.

I would like to ask back to you:
What do you expect from the supplier
What would satisfy you and your management that the supplier move will have no adverse effects on your product or production

Phil

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 9th November 2010, 03:43 PM
DrM2u

Total Posts: 777
Re: What to expect when a critical supplier moves?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by drewsky View Post

I have a similar situation where the supplier of a component is going to manufacture that component in one of its other locations. How would this be treated in a "letter to file"? How would it be categorized in the FDA flowcharts? It is not a new supplier or ownership change. We are conducting all of the above OQ, PQ, audit, etc but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere in the FDA flowcharts. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Drewsky
Look up the requirements for product and process validation, and risk assessment.
  Post Number #11  
Old 9th November 2010, 07:24 PM
drewsky1

Total Posts: 122

Thanks for this information. We have covered most if not all of what you have mentioned. From a Regulatory standpoint, even though it is not a new vendor, as the intent of the vendor location change is to consolidate their manufacturer facilities, there is not a FDA Guidance flow sheet that emcompasses this that I could include in my letter to file. Any guidance here?
  Post Number #12  
Old 12th November 2010, 09:46 PM
Michael Malis

Total Posts: 310

Quote:

Thanks for this information. We have covered most if not all of what you have mentioned. From a Regulatory standpoint, even though it is not a new vendor, as the intent of the vendor location change is to consolidate their manufacturer facilities, there is not a FDA Guidance flow sheet that emcompasses this that I could include in my letter to file. Any guidance here?
Is this a supplier for finished goods or just a component part?

If you move your finished goods production to a new location, you need:
1. Validate new product line.
2. Register a product in this (new) location.
but
if this a component part, you only need to approve new vendor and update your internal records (subject to Quality approval of this part)
  Post Number #13  
Old 13th November 2010, 01:11 AM
arios

Total Posts: 637

You have received great feedback.

My two cents are for you to consider this situation a candidate for a formal Preventive Action (CAPA). The potential problem description could be described as:

"Key supplier is relocating which could have a potential impact on process, regulatory and logistics"

Then as your preventive action you could address your plans for validation, and so on.

Furthermore contact your Notified Boby as the change may need notification to them. Also have the plans included as an input for your managemnent review under changes with potential impact in the QMS.

You could also consider ordering a built up of raw materials prior to the move as a contingency for potential delay in shipments or identify alternate sources if possible.

Hope this helps.
  Post Number #14  
Old 13th November 2010, 03:55 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 5,371

Quote:

Supplier move is one of the several other criteria that needs to be captured in a Change notification agreement which is good to establish for critical suppliers more so in Medical device business. What to do in a facility location change is said in other posts in detail. You can plan and take the necessary actions when prior notification is sent by supplier per such an agreement.
  Post Number #15  
Old 13th November 2010, 12:48 PM
drewsky1

Total Posts: 122

Thanks for your input.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >