The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Design/Change Control Procedure - How to cope with Changes during Development?
Please read this thread...
Software update
Design/Change Control Procedure - How to cope with Changes during Development?
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Design/Change Control Procedure - How to cope with Changes during Development? - Page 3

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
design and development, design changes, design control, medical devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #17  
Old 16th May 2011, 06:18 AM
Pads38

Total Posts: 767
Re: Design/Change Control Procedure - How to cope with Changes during Development?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by treesei View Post

--------------------------------------------
Below is directly from the FDA:

"Manufacturers are not expected ....................................................................and approved."

So here is the requirement. Each firm may write a procedure that covers the requirement but practically fits its own situation.
Thanks Treesai, that is a good quote.

Can you tell me which guidance document it comes from?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #18  
Old 16th May 2011, 07:55 AM
PaulGr

Total Posts: 44
Re: Design/Change Control Procedure - How to cope with Changes during Development?

Hi Pads38.

The quote come from this guidance: http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/de.../ucm230127.htm

It is actually the FDA Response to Comments and Rationale for Changes with respect to the 820. For the specific line, see both page 52621 and page 52622.

Cheers, Paul
Thank You to PaulGr for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #19  
Old 16th May 2011, 10:52 AM
sagai

Total Posts: 1,132

Guidance is the special control. I would not call the source of that quotation as a guidance.
br
Sz.
  Post Number #20  
Old 16th May 2011, 12:46 PM
treesei

Total Posts: 262

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Pads38 View Post

Can you tell me which guidance document it comes from?
--------------------------------------------------
Dear Pads38,

Certainly. It comes from the preamble of the US FDA's medical device cGMP final rule published in Federal Register Vol 65 No 195:52602-52654; 1996, available from the FDA's website. The particular quote is on page 52621.

The cGMP rules (21 CFR 820) are purposely vague. However, a lot of info that explains the rules can be found in the preamble which I recommend my colleagues to spend some time on reading. It is not formally written in the regulation but it shows how the FDA interprets the regulation.

Regards,
treesei
Thanks to treesei for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #21  
Old 16th July 2012, 09:21 AM
todayssunny

Total Posts: 4

Hi Aphel,

I'm not sure if this thread is still active.
However in such a case as described by you,
our procedure requires to complete a design change form (during development / pre design transfer).
A part of this form is to assess the change impact...in your case the assessed impact would be to go back and do the change and repeat design verification afterwards.

bes regards
  Post Number #22  
Old 25th January 2018, 05:22 AM
Siddhartha230

Total Posts: 4

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Aphel View Post

Hello everybody,

Thank you for all the answeres and guesses...

The problem i have, is not to control changes in single documents (e.g. drawings), therefor we have a nice procedure (document controls).

But what are your solutions (procedures) if you have for example the following change during development:

Imagine, you just went through the milestone design freeze, you have already startet design verification. And now - during design verification you realise, that you are not able to pass a certain requirement and you are forced to make a change to a functional design input requirement.

What are your design change procedures saying in such cases?
How do you organise, manage and document such necessary changes?

Best regards,
Aphel
I also have the same question.

I don't know how to properly control the design change before design transfer, and don't know how to compile the Design History File (DHF) after the design change has been finished.
  Post Number #23  
Old 27th January 2018, 05:21 PM
yodon

Total Posts: 1,156

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Siddhartha230 View Post

I don't know how to properly control the design change before design transfer, and don't know how to compile the Design History File (DHF) after the design change has been finished.
At some point, the design artifacts go under design controls. Any change after that must follow the Design Changes procedures (820.30(i)). Presumably, you already have procedures for this. Typically, a "change request" is opened then that is reviewed to determine scope and impact (especially on the Risk Analysis). The proposed changes are approved and then implemented. Some method to verify or validate the changes is defined. If you have already done any system V&V then the impact of the change on those efforts needs to be evaluated and likely some additional V&V work is warranted. The change record providing traceability to what all changed / what was done as well as the updated design artifacts become part of the DHF.

Hope that makes sense.

In the future, it might be best if you open a new thread rather than jumping on an old one.
Thanks to yodon for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #24  
Old 9th March 2018, 02:04 AM
QAengineer13

Total Posts: 142

After reading this page, I need some clarity related to the concept of Pre-Production change control and Post-production change control

In a design and development project, say they have an alpha build, beta build and then their Pre-production unit (PPU) build.

Before PPU build process start is when the design freeze happens and the Design verification starts.....

Is the term Pre-production change control means anything and everything related to the change control before the DESIGN TRANSFER is my understanding, correct? and Post-production is after the sucessful transfer and the Production units are built, is this correct?

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >