The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Importing a Registered Class II Device, the Applying Our Label - Need New 510(k)?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Importing a Registered Class II Device, the Applying Our Label - Need New 510(k)?
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
510(k), class ii medical device, imports and importation, relabeling (of products)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 7th December 2017, 04:53 PM
MattRamsle

Total Posts: 8
Please Help! Importing a Registered Class II Device, the Applying Our Label - Need New 510(k)?

My firm manufactures and distributes several of our own Class II medical devices. We would now like to import a class II device from an overseas manufacturer who is registered with the FDA and has a 510(k) for the device. We then want to relabel the product with our own label (with basic company name and item name information), and market the product as our own device. The overseas manufacturer is fine with this. But, would we need to get a 510(k) for the product, or just list it with our other device listings?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 7th December 2017, 05:43 PM
Ronen E

Total Posts: 3,736
Re: Importing a Registered Class II Device, the Applying Our Label - Need New 510(k)?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by MattRamsle View Post

We then want to relabel the product with our own label (with basic company name and item name information), and market the product as our own device.
This statement needs to be clarified really well to allow unequivocal conclusions about your obligations. Which (if any) of the following statements are false?

- The old labelling will stay
- The actual manufacturer’s details - name, address, contacts, as well as the original item tradename, will be removed / avoided / covered in a reliable and durable way
- You will only add your company’s name, address & contacts, and your own item tradename
- You do not intend to use the “distributed by / manufactured for” clause in the labelling regulations
- Your company will take full regulatory responsibility for the device, including fulfilling any and all regulatory requirements that apply to a Manufacturer, for this device
- Your company has knowledge and expertise regarding the type of the device in question (application, technology, design etc.) that is not vastly inferior to that of the actual manufacturer
  Post Number #3  
Old 8th December 2017, 03:47 PM
MattRamsle

Re: Importing a Registered Class II Device, the Applying Our Label - Need New 510(k)?

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. Answers are below:

- The old labelling will stay - I just learned that this product will come in unlabeled. That should simplify things.
- The actual manufacturer’s details - name, address, contacts, as well as the original item tradename, will be removed / avoided / covered in a reliable and durable way - N/A since the product will arrive unlabeled.
- You will only add your company’s name, address & contacts, and your own item tradename - False. We will also add directions for use.

- You do not intend to use the “distributed by / manufactured for” clause in the labelling regulations - The label will state "Manufactured for" us.
- Your company will take full regulatory responsibility for the device, including fulfilling any and all regulatory requirements that apply to a Manufacturer, for this device - False. We intend to take on the regulatory responsibility for a relabeler in this case. Seems like the best fit when looking at the definitions for Initial Importer, Relabeler, etc...
- Your company has knowledge and expertise regarding the type of the device in question (application, technology, design etc.) that is not vastly inferior to that of the actual manufacturer - True. We have expertise in this area.
  Post Number #4  
Old 8th December 2017, 06:24 PM
Ronen E

Total Posts: 3,736

Thanks. One more question:

You noted “We will also add directions for use.” Are the new labelling contents going to be identical to the original’s (except company identification and device tradename)?

Added in edit: An interesting Elsmar thread that maybe useful for you.

Last edited by Ronen E; 9th December 2017 at 06:09 PM.
Thanks to Ronen E for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 12th December 2017, 01:25 PM
MattRamsle

That's a good question. I just found out that they will come in without instructions, and that we will insert our own Direction For Use document.

After reading the other thread, and FDA's requirements, I feel comfortable listing the product in our FDA device listings, while noting the OEM's 510(k). I was wondering if we'd need to submit a new 510(k), but that does not appear to be the case.

Thanks for the help. Such a good resource.
  Post Number #6  
Old 5th February 2018, 06:52 AM
Oconster

Total Posts: 2

Re: Re-packager/Re-Labeler - FDA Registration question
I’ve read through here and I’ve got the understanding of where I think my company belongs, but here’s where I’m lost. We take a bulk pack device that is sold nonsterile and relabel it repackage it and sterilize it. We have a PLD agreement with the manufacturer and they know we do this. We import the device from Germany. The device was 510(k) approved for user sterilization (moist heat) and we are doing Gamma. What do we need to have in place to satisfy the FDa

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >