FDA's DRLM (Device Registration & Listing Module) Listing Number Question
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
510(k), drlm (fda's device registration and listing module), fda (food and drug administration), listing number

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 21st February 2018, 08:57 AM
piccoto

Total Posts: 8
Please Help! FDA's DRLM (Device Registration & Listing Module) Listing Number Question

Hi all!
We manufacture a medical device that comes in different colors and cable lengths, hence we have several different catalog numbers all covered under one 510K and one Listing Number.
My question is: In the FDA's DRLM (Device Registration & Listing Module) - are we requires to specify all catalog numbers that are under this Listing Number/510K? We entered our "Propriety Name" of the device, but never entered any "Device Identifiers". Are we obliged to do it?

Thanks for any inputs on this issue! So confused!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 21st February 2018, 05:40 PM
Mark Meer

Total Posts: 780
Re: FDA's DRLM (Device Registration & Listing Module) Listing Number Question

Just based off memory, I don't think it's even possible to do this in the DRLM. If I recall correctly, you can only have one listing for a given 510(k).

The GUDID database, on the other hand, is where you'd have multiple entries for the different configurations.

EDIT: this was a confusion that I'd also expressed in this thread. There was no resolution. I ended up just entering a "generic" identifier in the DRLM listing, and then specifying the different configurations (with their unique DIs) using the GUDID.

Last edited by Mark Meer; 21st February 2018 at 05:45 PM.
Thank You to Mark Meer for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 22nd February 2018, 08:05 AM
piccoto

Thanks Mark! I though "Device Identifiers" was in the meaning of "Catalog numbers". We also have many DIs on one 510K/Listing Number... I would simply leave this field empty.

I still don't understand whether I have to register all my catalog number with the FDA. In Canada, for instance, all our catalog numbers are registered. Same goes for Europe - all numbers appear in the DoC. Is it possible that in the US you don't need to specify which catalog numbers are covered in your 510K ???

Thanks to piccoto for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 22nd February 2018, 11:54 AM
LFZR88

Total Posts: 38

Hello,
There is some pretty good advice from the FDA here Frequently Asked Questions about the New Device Registration and Listing Requirements Under 'Proprietary (Brand) Names' heading. My understanding of this is that they are asking for a brand name and not a product code, so you do not need to add all sizes etc just the main name of the branded product. However I do add a product code when there is a specific difference ie a single device or a pack of 2, this is personal preference, it makes it easier for anyone else in the company to see exactly what is listed/registered with the FDA.
you could also have a search through some companies that have similar products and see what they have done (if they are not hidden from view)

Last edited by LFZR88; 23rd February 2018 at 04:40 AM.
Thanks to LFZR88 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 22nd February 2018, 02:25 PM
piccoto

Thank you LFZR88, this is very helpful information!
I actually looked at other companies' submissions and didn't see the catalog numbers, but these 510K were all very old.

Would you please explain how do you add a product code? Is it in the DRLM?

Thanks!
  Post Number #6  
Old 23rd February 2018, 07:11 AM
LFZR88

Total Posts: 38

Hello Piccoto,
Did you search for devices under 'pro codes'? if you go to the establishment search page Establishment Registration & Device Listing and put in the 3 letter FDA pro code (for your device) that will give you all the devices under that pro code for comparision, if you have the company name it's easier, anyway you may not need to but it is a useful search.
your question re adding a product code, are you asking about adding your product code to an existing proprietary name listing or something else?
Thanks to LFZR88 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 25th February 2018, 05:53 AM
piccoto

Hi LFZR88!
I really made a mess with the terminology! I meant "Product Code" in the meaning of "Catalog Number"...
Here is the situation. We have:
1 510K number,
1 listing number,
1 FDA Product code,
for 20 different catalog numbers which appear on our website and catalog. The question is: how can someone be sure that all 20 different catalog numbers are covered under our 510K/listing number? they do not appear in the 510K documentation. Are we suppose to make the link between the catalog numbers and the 510K/listing number?

I have been trying to figure this out in last few days and from all the information I have, I believe the answer is NO. No connection between 510K/listing number and catalog numbers. For instance, I can add catalog numbers to a certain 510K number/listing number (assuming minor change were made and new submission isn't required) and FDA does not need to be notified (as opposed to Canada and Europe).

If someone thinks or knows something else - kindly let me know
Thanks!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >