Are detailed engineering requirements Design Inputs or Design Outputs
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
design inputs and outputs, engineering standards and specifications

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 12th June 2018, 07:54 PM
david316

Total Posts: 25
Question Are detailed engineering requirements Design Inputs or Design Outputs

Hello,

Often with a complicated project, the user needs will get broken down in more and more detailed requirements. For example for a medical device you may end up with specific electronic, software or mechanical requirements. Are the detailed engineering requirements (which some people call engineering specifications) design outputs? Note, I am not talking about drawings etc, these are detailed requirements and are written as requirements which are then ultimately verified.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 13th June 2018, 03:53 AM
sagai

Total Posts: 1,122
Re: Are detailed engineering requirements Design Inputs or Design Outputs

Design inputs are the inputs that you have at the early stage of the design.
Design outputs however is the design of the device, packaging and labelling, and the DMR that is for all procedures and specifications that you have for the finished device.

So, yes, for me the Design output does contain the specifications and requirements developed over the course of design actitivites based on the design inputs.

Cheers
Thank You to sagai for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 13th June 2018, 01:27 PM
yodon

Total Posts: 1,123

Indeed, I've seen the "line drawn" in different places. Some draw the line right after Product Requirements. I don't necessarily agree with that - I tend to consider, as Inputs, all those through what I consider "domain specific" requirements (e.g., Software Requirements Specifications, Labeling Requirements Specifications, etc.). Drawings, to me, are the elaboration of the requirements and thus fall into the Design Output category.

Where the line is drawn is probably not the biggest concern: showing that, indeed, the design outputs meet the design input requirements is most important.
Thanks to yodon for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 13th June 2018, 02:00 PM
Al Rosen

Total Posts: 3,656

The specifications and requirements are inputs. Engineering drawings are outputs.
Thanks to Al Rosen for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 13th June 2018, 04:02 PM
david316

Total Posts: 25

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by yodon View Post

Indeed, I've seen the "line drawn" in different places. Some draw the line right after Product Requirements. I don't necessarily agree with that - I tend to consider, as Inputs, all those through what I consider "domain specific" requirements (e.g., Software Requirements Specifications, Labeling Requirements Specifications, etc.). Drawings, to me, are the elaboration of the requirements and thus fall into the Design Output category.

Where the line is drawn is probably not the biggest concern: showing that, indeed, the design outputs meet the design input requirements is most important.
Thanks. I am coming much to the same conclusion. Although it can be confusing because often people/articles make it sound very black or white. In reality where the line get drawn seems to vary.

Followup question.....If software requirement specifications and hardware requirements specifications etc get lumped in with design outputs and we have a design review at the outputs stage to identify that all design outputs have been documented, then I would assume that we need to review those engineering specification documents are complete as well as the outputs from those documents (i.e. Software Design Description, the software, PCB schematics, etc)? Is this correct?

Thanks
  Post Number #6  
Old 13th June 2018, 04:04 PM
Marcelo Antunes

Total Posts: 3,211

An easy way to understand (but not always to apply):

Design input requirements are what the device has to do (the what).

Design output requirements are the answer to what, the technical solutions (the how) of how the device do what the inputs required.
Thank You to Marcelo Antunes for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 13th June 2018, 04:49 PM
Mark Meer

Total Posts: 808

The way I tend to think about it is as follows:

Design outputs are all those things that you'd have to transfer to another (hypothetical) manufacturer in order for them to replicate the device.

They would NOT need the original requirement specifications (with the exception of any translated into production acceptance criteria), but they WOULD need the design drawings.

Hence, the engineering requirements would be considered design inputs, whereas all the stuff required to actually make the thing that meets those requirements (the drawings, bill-of-materials, assembly work-instructions,....) are the design outputs.

(as already stated more succinctly by Marcelo in his previous post )
Thank You to Mark Meer for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 13th June 2018, 07:27 PM
qualprod

Total Posts: 107

General requirements specifications are design inputs, drawings , specifications, bill of materials, isometric are outputs
Thanks to qualprod for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >