The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Single Post View

Old 23rd January 2014, 08:12 PM
Jen Kirley

Total Posts: 6,035
Re: What to do when Employees are not following instructions

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by nsymon View Post

Thank you to all for the words of advice. In the case I speak of, the senior engineers decided to create a new router (print), by altering an old one and putting a different customer p/n on it. Thus the differences between the two prints were, one was customer ABC with a dimension of 5.22 and the other was customer DCE with a dimension of 5.25, as an example.
The old customer print (ABC) should have been archived when the new one was created and they know this, but they figured they would just let it go into obsolete status from lack of orders.
Thus, our engineers knew the right process steps to take and they even helped in deciding those steps, so for them to ignore the steps, it just doesn't make sense... however this seems to be a common occurrence with them both. Both engineers have been with the company since it started in the 70's, therefore they were trained by the owner of the company as well as "Self Taught."
Again, thanks for the advice and I will look to improve upon our processes with the input provided.
This looks like a document control matter because the engineers have repurposed an old document that is used to tell people what to do. That means the document should be controlled.

I often repurpose old documents, but doing that requires a careful review before publishing - like any document update. Did they follow the document control process? The thing could be printed out (I don't know about you, but I seem to find errors best on a printed version) and reviewed by the engineering manager or a peer, then sent on to the document control admin for processing.

So if approaching the issue, I would consider doing so as an invitation to submit their new documents for review. Engineers tend to be very smart but have relatively little mental bandwidth for QMS niceties so I would be nice when making this offer; but this sort of thing is not negotiable, protocols need to be followed.

I hope this helps!
Thank You to Jen Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links

The time now is 05:31 AM. All times are GMT -4.
Your time zone can be changed in your UserCP --> Options.

NOTE: This forum uses "Cookies"